MK1 Hull #61

Talk about the older Telstar 26 and 8M
Andre

MK1 Hull #61

Post by Andre »

Lou has ashed some questions about the hatches and ports on my Telstar. The ports are Bomar set directly into the lexan side window. I used 1/4 inch Lexan and it works just fine. If I had to do it over I would opt for something thicker, Lexan seems to be way more flexible than acrylic. I set the Lexan windows in place by creating a fiberglass step inside the cabin and directly bonding them, no fasteners were used. I also added a hatch in front of the cabin entrance to increase light and ventilation.
petrel

MK1 Hull #61

Post by petrel »

andere,

I was curious about your hatch modification also. Thanks for the great photos. Your boat looks really nice with high quality modifications that add to the overall boat's appearance. Not easy to achieve.

I notice you have replaced your wooden grab rails with stainless steel pipe. Something I have been meaning to do for a while. How are they fastened?

Thanks
Geoffrey
Andre

MK1 Hull #61

Post by Andre »

The old wooden handrails were screwed to the riser pads. The pads have a wood core. The new handrails are 1" tube. To fasten the tube I drilled 1/4inch holes through it and welded in long 1/4in studs. The studs go through the pads and deck and fasten inside with nuts and fender washers.

Andre
Dan

MK1 Hull #61

Post by Dan »

I'd point out that Lexan is really not the best material to use for ports. Cast acrylic is far better. It is more scratch resistant, more UV-tolerant and most importantly, cast acrylic doesn't distort the way polycarbonate does under impact. This is why all the major hatch manufacturers use acrylic, not polycarbonate, with the exception of one line of Bomar hatches. However, the Bomar hatch has reinforcing bars to prevent the polycarbonate from distorting and breaking the seal.

I'd point out that using acrylic glazing is also the recommendation of Tony, from Select Plastics, which is one of the largest and oldest aftermarket port/hatch replacement manufacturers.

I recommend using one of two bedding compounds for large ports and hatches. The first, and one I prefer, is Dow Corning 795 silicone, which is a structural adhesive specifically designed for bedding glazing materials in high stress applications. The second is Sikaflex 295, which requires the use of the 209 primer IIRC.

Tony, from Select Plastics, says the following regarding bedding acrylic and polycarbonate glazing materials.
Well here goes... The only three adhesives I would consider using are Sika Flex 295 UV with the primer, GE SG-4000, and Dow 795. Using the correct adhesive is only 1/2 the battle. Do not apply the sealants below 50 degrees F. The temperature must maintain at least 50F during the entire 21 day cure cycle. Cut this corner and your finished before you start. Preparation of the bond area is also very/ very important. DO NOT TOUCH THE BOND AREA WITH YOUR BARE HANDS! Contamination from the dirt and skin oils will make a solid cure impossible. You may clean the FRP and metal with acetone to prep the area but if you touch the Lexan or Plexi with harsh solvents you will ruin the portlight. A 50/50 mix of isopropal alcohol and distilled water will work well to clean the plastic if needed. Remember that clean enough is not clean enough.
luigisante

MK1 Hull #61

Post by luigisante »

Not sure how I did this duplicate post. :roll:
Last edited by luigisante on Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: