Sail trim and deck hardware

Talk about the older Telstar 26 and 8M
Evoxrs

Post by Evoxrs »

Can anyone confirm the correct deck hardware position on a Mk1 for a genoa track? I have the original track on my coachroof to allow for the jib to be sheeted inside the shrouds, however I have a large furling genoa fitted to the forestay and I am advised to fit a new track with sliding cars about 12ins outside the shrouds on the deck. Is this right or should I still try to use the existing coachroof tracks?
Andre

Post by Andre »

On my mk1 Telstar there is a track extending aft on the ama from the rear bracket. The track is a 1inch wide by 3/16 inch stainless steel strip bolted atop the fiberglass ridge molded into the deck. I see by your pictures in the painting thread you have the ridge but not the stainless track. The picture shows my track with its turning blocks.

Andre
luigisante

Post by luigisante »

I have the same track/turning block set up as Andre.

Hey Andre, how does that small port installed in the plexigless work for you. I assume it opens. Does it leak? I thought about putting something there but I think I'm adding another small hatch in the coachroof near the cabin/cockpit door.

I also see that you have the track for the mainsheet/boom blocks on the coachroof instead of the rear of the cockpit. How does that work out for you. I think a lot about that modification.

Lou
Evoxrs

Post by Evoxrs »

Hi Andre,
Thank you for the picture. I do not have a track here it may have been removed in the past. Instead my rigging guy has mounted a track with a towable car further forward and farther away from the joint between the main hull and the arma and I feel the gap between main and genoa is too big and it affects my boats ability to point. I presume the double block attached to the outside of the cockpit coming is for the spinnaker guys? Does your arrangement work ok getting the sheets on to the winch from there I guess it must do if that was the original design. Wish I'd known about this site 6 months ago.
Thanks guys very helpful,I will have to experiment with this .
JoeWalling

Post by JoeWalling »

Its really good seeing pictures of other peoples boats. I'd encourage us all to do it and I'll do the same - there are so many ideas to share. A while ago, I created a post with the name of our boat - HUSH - but I've not populated it much.
petrel

Post by petrel »

johnco,

My 8M built in 1979 has a similar track and block arrangement as andre's and I rig the sheets as follow:

The working jib is sheeted between the mast and inner shrouds with the sheet passing through the block on the track on top of the coach roof and then directly to the winch.
The genoa is sheeted between the inner and outer shrouds and passes through the block on the lower outer track on the rear deck close to the cockpit. The sheet is then reeved through the block on the outside of the cockpit wall (the dark thing hanging down in andre's photo) so that it leads correctly the the same winch.

Bear in mind my boat is unusual in that it does not have spreaders only inner and outer shrouds. The inner shrouds are fastened to chainplates on the sides of the cabin and outer shrouds are fastened to chainplates on the outsides of the outer hulls - hence my genoa sheets between the inner and outer shrouds. I think for the boats that have the more traditional spreaders the genoa is sheeted outside the spreaders and shrouds which are typically fastened to chainplates on the sides of the cabin.

As for using a traditional spinnaker. It is a lot easier to use than on a monohull because it does not need a pole due of the wide beam of the Telstar. I have pad eyes with blocks mounted on the deck about where the rear section of the ama meets the deck. The spinnaker (sheets?) are led to these blocks and directly to the same winches. However, except on the rare occasions when there was no option but to have to go directly downwind I think a tradition spinnaker is probably not the best option for a Telstar. Consequently, in the future I will be fitting a bowsprit for a screecher instead. Someone else on this forum wrote an excellent piece on this which is well worth reading. Especially if your are considering setting up for a traditional spinnaker.

I hope this helps and good luck
Geoffrey
petrel

Post by petrel »

andre,

Pardon I may be getting off topic and if so this possibly should be moved by the moderator. Like Lou I am curious and have thought a long time about having the mainsheet track on the cabin top as you have on your boat. Having it in that location certainly un- clutters and makes it easier to move around the cockpit. But does it adversely affect mainsail trim? And what is the length of your boom?

Thanks
Geoffrey
Andre

Post by Andre »

To answer the questions about the main traveler track on the coach roof. A previous owner installed this track concurrent with a cockpit modification that made the old arrangement unworkable. I like the new arrangement it declutters the cockpit and the only downside is the necessity to fit a boom vang. The track is curved and in really heavy wind I have to slack the sheet to travel down. The boom on a MK1 Telstar is quite short around 8 ft (if I remember correctly) and the main sail area small. The forces acting on the mainsheet and traveler are much lower than those of the 28.

Andre
petrel

Post by petrel »

andre,

Thanks for your detailed answers. My boat has a large fully battened mainsail with a good sized roach and could have a longer boom. All of which may preclude a cabin top track system like yours. Possibly a multipoint block attachment on the boom for the mainsheet system might work. I need to give it more thought. It would be great if I can do it because having the track and sheets in the cockpit is really a safety issue.

Thanks again.
Geoffrey
Evoxrs

Post by Evoxrs »

petrel wrote:johnco,

My 8M built in 1979 has a similar track and block arrangement as andre's and I rig the sheets as follow:

The working jib is sheeted between the mast and inner shrouds with the sheet passing through the block on the track on top of the coach roof and then directly to the winch.
The genoa is sheeted between the inner and outer shrouds and passes through the block on the lower outer track on the rear deck close to the cockpit. The sheet is then reeved through the block on the outside of the cockpit wall (the dark thing hanging down in andre's photo) so that it leads correctly the the same winch.

Bear in mind my boat is unusual in that it does not have spreaders only inner and outer shrouds. The inner shrouds are fastened to chainplates on the sides of the cabin and outer shrouds are fastened to chainplates on the outsides of the outer hulls - hence my genoa sheets between the inner and outer shrouds. I think for the boats that have the more traditional spreaders the genoa is sheeted outside the spreaders and shrouds which are typically fastened to chainplates on the sides of the cabin.

As for using a traditional spinnaker. It is a lot easier to use than on a monohull because it does not need a pole due of the wide beam of the Telstar. I have pad eyes with blocks mounted on the deck about where the rear section of the ama meets the deck. The spinnaker (sheets?) are led to these blocks and directly to the same winches. However, except on the rare occasions when there was no option but to have to go directly downwind I think a tradition spinnaker is probably not the best option for a Telstar. Consequently, in the future I will be fitting a bowsprit for a screecher instead. Someone else on this forum wrote an excellent piece on this which is well worth reading. Especially if your are considering setting up for a traditional spinnaker.

I hope this helps and good luck
Geoffrey

Hi Geoffrey,
Thank you that does all make sense. I can see my genoa track is a somewhat further forward than the tracks you have close to the rear blocks which are fixed on the cockpit sides, (You can see them on my photo under the painting topic.) This will affect the sheeting angle a bit but not sure how much it would affect how close to wind I can sail. I'm sure it would make a difference I suppose I could fit a longer track to come right aft of the armas if necessary or move the one that has been fitted. I shall experiment.

The blocks that you use prior to putting the sheets on the winches seem too low to properly feed on. We tend to get a lot of riding turns on the winch using those blocks, either that or the rope stays on the bottom shoulder of the winch. This is because the winches are mounted high on the cockpit. Do you get that problem?