Daggerboard mod for Petrel and any others interested...

Talk about the older Telstar 26 and 8M
isaacsman

Daggerboard mod for Petrel and any others interested...

Post by isaacsman »

I have followed this thread with interest. I've looked at many different Telstars over the last 20+ years and own a 1976 Mk.2 Telstar and a Peter Bosgraff designed racing 8M tri with twin daggerboards mounted in the amas. The Telstar I have owned for 21 years.
A modified marina version at Canvey Island, in 1999, which had been bought as an uncompleted boat - had a wing mast, a vertical bow and extended stern, plus a central daggerboard. There were no side decks and I am sure this has to be the fastest Telstar that exists.
Another marina version in 1989 at Poole which had twin daggerboards in the amas. These were canted inwards to act as foils. The owner said that whilst they worked - all the foils broke under the strain imposed on them.
I have looked at many others - indeed every Telstar I come across - from one in the canal at Peterborough which had fixed side decks and had enormous accomodation within - to Telstar SP, which also had fixed side decks and a steel centerboard.
From 1997 - 2003 I was commuting initally by Telstar and later by my racing tri some 50 miles each way in the inner Hebrides every month - my wife was teaching on one of the islands. The Telstar is a wonderful boat, very safe and secure, and I would be happy after my experiences to cross oceans. I have been caught in gales - 57kts and seriously large seas in the inner Hebrides and the boat handles like a dinghy - always responsive and under control. I have had mine surfing down large 20 - 30ft waves at 14.5 kts and at no time felt that the boat was out of control. However the Telstar is a comfortable, affordable cruising boat - not a cruiser-racer. My racing tri with a 6.5m beam and all up weight of 800kg firstly will do 7 kts when there is apparently no wind and secondly will exceed the 14.5kts with great ease in 15 - 20 kts of wind but at a price - the accomodation and facilities are minimal on board.
I came to the conclusion that if you want speed then get a racing boat, but as the Telstar is a cruising boat ultimately comfort is the prime objective. I like the helm position and have always been most reluctant to extend the boat as the involves making big sacrifices in relation to the rudder and helm and loss of the ability to quickly raise the rudder as in the existing arrangement. Keep It Simple Stupid is always best in my opinion. The conclusions I came to ten years ago were to improve the pitching in short seas - create a vertical bow and follow the lines of maximum beam of the main hull towards the stern to increase the stern buoyancy - and interestingly this is what Tony Smith did in his latest version of the boat. In relation to the centreboard - keep the board but add skegs to the amas to allow drying out on beaches without tilting to one side. Having sailed in various cats with this system they are able to point well - again remember the aim is cruising - but if the situation demands you still have the centreboard. My modifications are still a work in progress as I have been building a house but once I am free of other projects I will get it completed.
I look forward to any comments!