Model Differences

Talk about the older Telstar 26 and 8M
Marina

Model Differences

Post by Marina »

Pat Ross wrote:Hi Harvey,

You remarked earlier that you liked the accent painting of my boat, I think that may have been looking at a photo of Joe Siudzinski's boat. He was the North American representative of Telstars prior to the company moving to the U.S. He has been very kind and helpful to me. Here is the link to his site: http://home.earthlink.net/~smercc/index.htm

Looking foward top seeing your boat, these are wonderful boats.

Cheers,

Pat
Hi Pat, is this not your boat then: http://www.multihulldynamics.com/news_article.asp?articleID=179 . I really like the windows and black/grey painting of the coachroof. The front windows are much more low profile than mine and the curvature at the top of the windows is much less pronounced on yours. It makes her look a lot more modern in my opinion. would love to see some closeups of the coachroof and windows.

Hope you recovery is coming along nicely!

cheers Marina.
Pat Ross

Model Differences

Post by Pat Ross »

Marina wrote:Hi Pat, is this not your boat then: http://www.multihulldynamics.com/news_article.asp?articleID=179 . I really like the windows and black/grey painting of the coachroof. The front windows are much more low profile than mine and the curvature at the top of the windows is much less pronounced on yours. It makes her look a lot more modern in my opinion. would love to see some closeups of the coachroof and windows.

Hope you recovery is coming along nicely!

cheers Marina.
Yes Harvey that is the link to my boat. I think the lines on our boats are very similar. The windows maybe different but I think the roof lines are very similar. Here are the photos you requested. If you need something different let me know.

Berth in Demopolis Alabama.JPG (108.34 KiB) Viewed 123 times

16. Rotation stopped by Fred and crew.JPG (103.3 KiB) Viewed 123 times

Starboard on Trailer.JPG (105.35 KiB) Viewed 123 times

My recovery is going well, Physical Therapy 3 times a week and workouts at home, we expect to launch our boat by August. We will not have painted her or made major upgrades. We just want to get on the water this year.

Pat
Marina

Model Differences

Post by Marina »

Pat.
Many thanks for those, yours is the only old telstar that I have seen that I like the external appearance of.

Yes, I should imagine that the roof lines are exactly the same, but in the flesh my windows seem to make the whole thing look a bit bulky and ugly, whereas yours portrays a more streamlined appearance. I don't know how yours appears in the flesh, but it would seem that if the black paint were re-done or possibly covered with some gloss black vinyl, it would look pretty flash. I might like a picture from on deck looking straight at the 2 front windows, perhaps one from the bow and one looking down from the middle of the coach roof, but don't rush, whenever is convenient for you.

Sounds like a long road to recovery! keep it up!

Cheers, Harvey
Pat Ross

Model Differences

Post by Pat Ross »

Marina wrote: I might like a picture from on deck looking straight at the 2 front windows, perhaps one from the bow and one looking down from the middle of the coach roof, but don't rush, whenever is convenient for you.
Harvey here are the bow shots, sorry she is so filty.

Top view.JPG (111.97 KiB) Viewed 110 times

bow view 1.JPG (134.96 KiB) Viewed 110 times

bow view 2.JPG (129.46 KiB) Viewed 110 times

Marina

Model Differences

Post by Marina »

Very helpful thanks Pat. She'll look great once you've tidied her up.
petrel

Model Differences

Post by petrel »

Pat,

Thanks for the photos, your boat looks really nice. It is interesting to see the evolution and differences between the models. I think your model has the most streamlined appearance of all of the older Telstars.

You indicate that your boat is an 8M as I thought mine is/was. My understanding is that the 8M designation is supposed to indicate an 8 meter long Telstar (26'-3") - as opposed the the earlier 26 feet long Telstars models. But the 8M is a little confusing because of the 8M "Marina" version such as Marina has.

To quote Monty Python "all terribly confusing really"

So folks, what is correct? Or what is preferred? Maybe an 8M with the additional trailerable designation is best, i.e. 8M Trailerable, and 8M Marina for the marina version as with Marina's boat?

Geoffrey

P.S. Marina, I look forward to seeing photos of your boat.
Pat Ross

Model Differences

Post by Pat Ross »

Hi Geoffrey,

If you are looking for speed it appears the 26 models are faster than the 8M, the 8M main hull is beamier, therefore more drag. Here is a good comparison on the models by Joe Siudzinski

http://home.earthlink.net/~smercc/joesintro.htm

Having your hull number would be helpful in deciding the model you have here is a history chart of hull numbers and specifications http://home.earthlink.net/~smercc/telstarh.htm

Personally I think the stern extension makes any of the models more graceful looking and I am willing to bet handle rough weather much better.

Pat
Marina

Model Differences

Post by Marina »

Pat. If our coach roofs are indeed the same, I find it amazing how your windows and detailing change the appearance so much. If you compare your "bow 2" pic with this: Image they look completely different! Obviously they are taken from different angles, and no doubt the grey paint on my coach roof amplifies the shape of the front brows of the coach roof. If you look from this angle, ignoring the windows, do you think this matches your coachroof brows? It's very dificult to depict the brows on your pics. Do your windows not follow the lines of the roof brows like mine?

Geoffrey, you can see some pics of my boat on the "new Telstar introduction" thread and see many more here: http://s855.photobucket.com/albums/ab118/marinaharvey/?start=0
Pat Ross

Model Differences

Post by Pat Ross »

Harvey,

I stand corrected, I think you are right, your windows have more of an "eyebrow" shape than mine. Probably means you will get more light in which should make your interior feel more open. I also think you have a half bulkhead on the forward port side interior, so the whole main hull should benefit from the extra light. I think the roof lines maybe the same, just your windows are cut back more bringing in more light. Pretty good idea. I think some of the 26's are more that way also.

Pat
petrel

Model Differences

Post by petrel »

Pat, Marina, & all,

One thing about the earlier Telstars is that few that are exactly the same. Except maybe the last few Tony Smith made in the U.S.A. Pat, I think your boat is one of these with the forward section of the coach roof streamlined and black paint around the front and side "windows" giving what I referred to as the streamlined look which I really like. Whereas Marina's and my boat both made in the U.K. in the late 1970's have the larger front eye brow shaped "windows". Yet Marinas and my boats are quite different. My boat is fractionally rigged without spreaders and has a very sparse interior. Marina's has elegant interior coach work, different bow pulpit, and lifelines. etc. My boat's sail number is 194 (which I think is also the same as its hull number) and sort of fits into Joe's Suidzinski's chart as an 8 meter/E. but was built in 1979.

The increased main hull beam that Pat and Joe refer to is an abrupt widening amidships of the center hull found in mine other later boats. These "bulges" are a hydrodynamic abomination that make the boats slower than the earlier boats which did not have them. Faring the fore and aft transitions of these bulges does help and I recommend it to all owners who have them.

After being away from Telstars for so long and to return to find that owners have extended the stern of their boats is really wonderful. Years ago, I remember many discussions with other owners about doing this and now seeing it I must agree with Pat that it does make the boat more graceful looking. I can't wait to hear how it improves the sailing.

Geoffrey