Official new telstar introduction!

Talk about the older Telstar 26 and 8M
Marina

Post by Marina »

Hi everyone. Sorry or being a bit elusive and vague on our new Telstar, but we hadn't completed the sale at the time and were worried about getting gazzumped as there were apparently alot of other interested parties! Anyway, the sale is now completed, and I can tell you that we are now the proud owners of one of the rare telstar 8m marina versions. The boat has had many mods over the years including stern extension with integrated steps and cassette rudder, plum bow, and daggerboard but hasn't had much maintenance over the last couple of years and needs some work. Unfortunately due to bad weather we still haven't sailed it home yet and can't provide my own pics, but here is a link to some that you will hopefully be able to see ... Image Image Image

cheers, Harvey
Marina

Post by Marina »

Image Image
Pat Ross

Post by Pat Ross »

Thank you for the larger photos, I did not see the link you mentioned. When you get to take your own photos I would appreciate a larger photo of view of the stern and the sugar scoop and good photos of the rudder and tiller, with an explanation of the rudder and tiller design and linkage between the two. Is it a is a kick-up rudder, I am confused how it can have a cassett rudder ? Is she trailerable?

You are very fortunate to have found this rare model, Congratulations! ;)

Pat
Marina

Post by Marina »

Hi Pat. Here are the only pics I have of the stern at present. Unfortunately some of them are microscopic!Like the rest of the boat, the stern is chipped and poorly painted and will require full stripping and painting. The sides of the stern appear to be made of sheathed plywood and we plan to bulk these up a bit to make it look a bit more "flash" and add some of the flexi-teek to the steps. The rudder was described in the original advert as a semi-balanced, cassette rudder, but I have
no idea what this means! I presumed the "cassette" part refered to the fact that it can be fully retracted vertically like a cassette. Image Image Image Image
Marina

Post by Marina »

The rudder doesn't kick up , no, it can only be retracted vertically. You can see it partially retracted in the first microscopic pic in the precious post.

You can try this link to see all the photos I have of her. http://s855.photobucket.com/albums/ab118/marinaharvey/?start=0
Pat Ross

Post by Pat Ross »

Thank you Harvey this was helpful in understanding how the rudder rises by raisng the Tiller post, unique. I gather the rudder can raise to a depth that is consistent with the hull bottom when the board is up. If you are moving in that shallow of water you will be going very slow and I gather the water drag of the flooding of the stern or water "cupping" into the hull would be of little or no issue; could work as a "brake " of sorts.

Pat
Marina

Post by Marina »

Hi Pat.

Don't know i you can see from the pics but when fully down the bottom is sealed so no "cupping". When raised, I believe the slot in which the rudder slides up and down is sheathed and sealed from the rest of the hull extension, so there would be some "cupping" but nothing significant, and I wouldn't be worried about performance in the shallows anyhow...

Harvey.
JoeWalling

Post by JoeWalling »

Hey Harvey

Glad you have completed the sale. I think its a testimony to the marque that so few Telstars ever come on the market in the Uk - considering how many were built over here. Also, as they have been around a long time I bet there are are no two anything like the same, so we can all learn from the experiences of others. Love to see more pictures when you get her home. What's a plumb bow, by the way, and what does it do?

Joe
trashpad

Post by trashpad »

It looks like she has the Amas setup to pivit forward like the T28s and not swing up or down. Is that correct?
Marina

Post by Marina »

JoeWalling wrote:Hey Harvey

Glad you have completed the sale. I think its a testimony to the marque that so few Telstars ever come on the market in the Uk - considering how many were built over here. Also, as they have been around a long time I bet there are are no two anything like the same, so we can all learn from the experiences of others. Love to see more pictures when you get her home. What's a plumb bow, by the way, and what does it do?

Joe
Hi Joe. Plumb bow as in vertical leading edge rather than the sloping back to the waterline of the original. It's quite a major mod and supposedly reduces pitching. Another major mod the boat has is a dagger board in place of the centreboard. I guess I am the only telstar owner with a dagger board. It supposedly improves passage to windward dramatically...

Cheers, Harvey.