Painting your telstar.

Talk about the older Telstar 26 and 8M
Marina

Painting your telstar.

Post by Marina »

Has anyone painted, or planning painting their Telstar? Any advice for stripping and painting? At the moment, the only way that i can see myself getting the immaculate result that i want would involve the long job of sanding the paint back to the gel coat and then spraying several coats of two pack epoxy primer and top coat. The major problem that i can see at the moment would be stripping and getting a good paint finish on the textured areas on deck and coachroof. Anyone any experience/ideas? Cheers,Harvey.
Pat Ross

Painting your telstar.

Post by Pat Ross »

Prep is everything. If you have never done a big job, I would hire a Pro/Hr after I had completed the prep-finish for a once-over review of the project. I would do this before I started to paint, regardless of the painting technique used. You could easily regain his fee several times over either in real money savings, real effort/time savings or both.

Pat
Andre

Painting your telstar.

Post by Andre »

Harvey
I painted my Telatar 26 MK1 last year. It was indeed a big job. The hull and decks had been previously painted with a single part alkyd enamel.The paint was dull and pealing in places. The boat was all one color and the nonskid areas filled in with paint. I sanded the entire boat with 80 grit paper on an orbital sander. However I did not sand all the paint off only most of it. I ground out many gel coat cracks and filled them with fiberglass and vinyl ester resin. To smooth I used micro balloons and resin. I primed the boat with 2 coats of epoxy primer (Interlux)sanding between coats with 220 grit. The nonskid areas were masked off and the whole boat was sprayed with Interlux Perfection a two part urethane paint. Once the paint had cured I masked off the smooth areas and painted the nonskid. I mixed the Interlux perfection with micro balloons and some cabosil to make a mixture the consistency of whipped cream. I rolled this mixture with a 3/4 nap roller making a rough surface. The whole thing looks great and has held up well. The key is in the prep work and that is where the majority of the time is spent. You could do all the prep steps with a roller and brush and let a pro spray the finish coat. The only down side to brushing and rolling the primer is you have to sand a lot more. What ever you do don't spend the summer painting spend it sailing.

Hope this helps
Andre
Marina

Painting your telstar.

Post by Marina »

Certainly is helpfull, thanks Andre. How long would you say you spent on the sanding and other prep? Why did you not take all the paint off? Were you worried about damaging the gel or did you just deem it unnecessary? Are you in the US? Cheers. Harvey
Andre

Painting your telstar.

Post by Andre »

Harvey
I spent approximately 60 hours in prep and paint work.
5 hours removing hardware.
10 hours initial sanding of the hull and deck.
15 hours filling and glassing.
4 hours for masking
8 hours for priming and sanding between prime coats.
8 hours for final coats.
8 hours for masking and painting nonskid.
I did a lot of other work at the same time so the above numbers may be a little off.

I didn't think sanding the entire boat to gelcoat was necessary. I planed to do this at first but some of the paint was stuck very well. Some came off easily and it was obvious no one had sanded that area prior to painting. I ended up with a patchwork of paint and gelcoat that I felt was a good base. Interlux does not want you to apply the epoxy primer over one part paint. They are afraid the reducer could lift some one part coatings. I tested this and never had a problem with lifting. All the steps can be accomplished a little at a time. only the final painting needs to be done in one big push.
I live In Connecticut USA . Most of the work was accomplished in September and early October before it got too cold. I did have delays because of weather. So late in the year the window for painting was small I had to wait for the dew to dry and paint before the temperature started to dip. I added a small amount of accelerator to speed its drying.
Andre
JoeWalling

Painting your telstar.

Post by JoeWalling »

I agree with Andre on a number of counts. To start with, a new boat is like a new house,car or girlfriend. You want to hose 'em down, spruce 'em up and show 'em off to all your mates.

When we bought HUSH a couple of years ago, I spend a bit of time making her more comfortable down below (this is not now part of the girlfriend analogy) but resisted temptation to do anything else. I went sailing with her for a year, making notes about what I did and did'nt like about her, for future reference. 'You gotta go there to come back', as the Stereophonics say. I also did'nt know if I'd even like the boat from a sailing point of view, never having seen, been on or sailed any form of multihull before. Now, I know that there is nothing about this boat that I cannot see a way of changing to suit my requirements. I don't think I could say that of any other boat or type of boat. We've done quite a lot too it as you can see from various posts and I'm working on her pretty much full time - I'm now retired - but if I went through everything on my wish list the boat would'nt get back in the water this season. HUSH will be relaunched by mid April at the latest and what does'nt get done will have to wait.

I'n not going all the way back to the gelcoat, except where I need to, to effect repairs. Like Andre's boat, some of the old paint is on tight and as long as I make the surface perfectly smooth, no stars, cracks or peeling, I'm happy. But I'm not sanding the non slip areas at all, except where repairs are needed - I'll just scrub them clean. That's what I'm doing most days but when I get bored with sanding, I give myself a break and find another task to do - or go the pub. That way, I'm not tempted to cut corners. As Pat says, prep is everything. I'm fairly sure that I'll have the undercoat(s) on before she relaunches but I'll do the topcoat bit by bit even is she's on the mooring. I'm only planning to use one, maybe two coats of Blake's light grey one part deck coating - that's what is on there now and its solid.

Joe

Joe
luigisante

Painting your telstar.

Post by luigisante »

This link shows you my Mark I when I painted the entire boat. When it bought the boat, it had the original gel coat. It was in bad shape so I had to take it down a bit and resurface it. I did not spend a lot to have it sprayed. I used the roller/tipping method. If I every get around to it, I have a video of me doing one of the amas but its on VHS and I have to have it digitized. But what I did to ensure uniform coverage is use a different color primer so I could see the topcoat coverage. I used WR-LPU from System 3. It is a water based linear-polimer. I have used cyanide based linear polimers (on my last boat) in the past and found them too toxic to work with (even with a full face, forced air respirator, I found the cyanide would leak in the mask and make my eyes tear). After a long day painting once I had a headache for 24 hours that almost made me check into the emergency room. God only knows how many brain cells I fried. The water based paint is much nicer to use.

If I am able to get the work I need to complete on my boat this summer, I will be freshning up the paint with another coat of White WR-LPU. I used a tinted batch to cover the non-skid portions of the deck and coachroof. I mixed a co-polimer non-skid in there which seems to have worked well.

http://home.earthlink.net/~smercc/lgrebuild1.htm

I used a semi-gloss finish. These boats didn't have really glossy finishes to begin with and I think the semi-gloss hides many flaws. If you have the money to have the boat sprayed with Awlgrip, I would also make sure that the last sanding is done by the painter. A gloss awlgrip will show every flaw in the brightwork.

Happy painting.

Lou Giansante

*If you are going to scrub any areas and not sand, you might want to make sure you use TSP in your cleaning mixture. It will go a long way to prepare the surface.
Evoxrs

Painting your telstar.

Post by Evoxrs »

I have read these accounts of painting with interest.

My boat was painted on her topsides in white with royal blue antislip areas and she looked positively awful. No only that, the first time I stepped on board I nearly slid off feet first, landing on my rear end on the edge of the port deck a few inches above the water. This is when I realised that the entire top sides had been painted with domestic oil based gloss paint!! The pots were still there in case I wanted to do some touching up..no thank you!!! For anti-slip the previous owner had thrown bird sand on to the wet paint.The entire effect was like the painted floor of a birdcage with the sand left in.....dreadful and highly dangerous the gloss paint completely nullified any antislip qualities of the sand. My first few sailing trips involved my creeping around the boat holding on to anything that was fixed... looking like I had suddenly been stricken with some rapid ageing desease.

Sanding the bird sand was extremely difficult as it was stronger than the coarsest sand paper I could get. I ended up using aluminium oxide paper at 40 grit on standard rubber disk this would take the shine off a diamond I reckon, still it did the job. I just took the top surface off of the anti-slip areas and then I discovered this miracle paint called Jotun used in commercial shipping. It is a solvent based paint and it covers almost anything. It has a grey primer which when wet made the boat look like a warship and I was tempted to leave it that colour but was not sure if it had any uv protection. Now here are good and not so good points about the paint. Being solvent based it dries in 10 mins. Fantastic for painting during showery weather and very fast to get a few coats on. Problem was putting the white topcoat over the primer was a challenge. I used a small foam roller and it was fine over the large areas but where it was fiddly a brush would disolve the first layer and the colour would then show through from the primer. So I had to get a coat of white on fast without rolling more than three times in any one area. Once the white was on then I could give further coats with no problem.

The wonderful thing about this paint is that you never have to sand, yes thats right no sanding beteween coats. The act of painting bonds the two coats together chemically since the solvent partly dissolves the under coat and they bond together. This happens even after years of use so I will never hae to sand the boat again as long as I use the same paint. I found an old brush that I had forgotten to clean months before and it was rock hard, I emersed it into the solvent thinner and in minutes it was like new again. If you are interested in this paint contact me for more details I have the UK supplier on my database and it has an international distribution network. It is called Conseal Touchup by Jotun paints.

Needless to say I am very pleased with the result and the antislip pearls that they supply to give antislip is highly effective. I can now run around the boat like a spring chicken!!! :D
Pat Ross

Painting your telstar.

Post by Pat Ross »

johnco wrote:Needless to say I am very pleased with the result and the antislip pearls that they supply to give antislip is highly effective. I can now run around the boat like a spring chicken!!! :D
How about some photos?

Pat
Evoxrs

Painting your telstar.

Post by Evoxrs »

Not sure how to do that but I'll give it a go. Glad to see you are keeping tabs on the site, many must be either out sailing or repairing their boats.

Primer coat on armas primer coat on amas.jpg (108.66 KiB) Viewed 82 times

Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: