8M folding/ raising the amas.

Talk about the older Telstar 26 and 8M
Marina

Post by Marina »

Would appreciate some info on how the amas fold and raise on the 8m. Whats the procedure, how much hassle, and how heavy are the amas? How many of you actualy trailer your telstars?

cheers.
Marina

Post by Marina »

Anyone? Perhaps an introduction will help...! I wasn't actually planning on introducing myself until we had the boat in hand as I didn't want to temp fate, but here it is in brief. We are the Harveys, and are in the process of buying an 8m. We shall be sailing out of Pembrokeshire in West wales. Hope to gain some valuable knowledge here, and possibly bump into you on the water some day...
Pat Ross

Post by Pat Ross »

Hello and Welcome,

Sorry no one has responded to you. I like you am relatively new to ownership of an 8M. You can read more about our boat here:

http://www.multihulldynamics.com/news_a ... icleID=179

Thus far we have only brought our boat home. We plan a re-launch around August. I am recovering from recent Rotator Cuff surgery and expect to be fully functional by then, otherwise we would be launching shortly.

There are three types of multihull trailerables:

1st type can be launched and ready to go in 90 minutes, sailed for the day and put back on the trailer and you can be home in the same day. Within this group of trailerables I would place the new Telstar 28's and some of the Farrier's and perhaps the Dragonfly tris. These boats can be launched and retrieved without extra equipment. They come as a package ready to go. Could be used as day sailers and for extended cruising.

The second type of trailerable is the Telstar 26's, 8M's and I suspect the Contour trailerable tris are similar. They will take more time to launch, like 3 to 4 hours and much more physical effort. You could sail for several hours and then retrieve her back on the trailer, again you are looking at at least 3 hours before all is secured for safe travel. While there is more physical effort involved, I think there are ways to reduce the physical effort. All this said, I think 3 days is a typical minimum time for a comfortable and enjoyable trip; launch and sail half day on first day, sail full day second day, retrieve 3rd day.

As far as I can tell they do not come equpped with all the gear to launch and retrieve them. The equipment needed is relatively minimal and can be setup to travel with the boat and costs less $400 U.S., although I suspect an enterprising fellow could do it for under $200. The Ama's weigh 600lbs each. The mast requires two people to safely remove from the boat. However you do not need to remove the mast to trailer or launch. Finally it appears trailers vary a great deal. The more sophisticated types have sliding sections making launch and retrival easier. I do not have such a trailer. The trailer I have is the standard type, trailer backed into water, boat winched into place, then pulled out.

The third type trailerable is what is referred to as a demountable. These boats require external machines such as a fork lift or marine travel-lift to be launched and retrieved. They are generally launched and retrived once a year. These types of multihull boats are like the Sea Tribe 870.

I was in the middle of planning to remove my boat from the trailer when I injured myself working on anther boat. Anyway 26's have made several crossings of the Atlantic. I think the 8M's may have as well, they are certainly built as well. While there have been other such tralerables to have made this crossing, it does speak to the strength of the early Telstar designs, pre '82. The 8M I have is sandwich built, she was on the cutting edge of boat building technology in her time, actually she was really ahead of her time. Solid as the day she was built in April '81. Of course it goes without saying that the boats will make awesome coastal cruisers and are quite comfortable for extended cruising, a great boat for a family. I think the solid decks are a real asset for safety and especially enjoyable when you are moored.

I think most anyone would be very hard pressed to find a better boat with all the possibilities it offers for the price, monohull or multihull. One in very good condition should bring about $25 to $30K U.S., plus the cost of a dependable charging outboard. Remember the trailer is worth at least 3k if in good ffunctional state and tagged.

I will post a link on an article describing the raising and lowering the mast. It explains how to raise and lower the amas and mast by yourself. Though I have not done this yet, I have owed a trailerable monohull. There are similarities to raising and lowering the mast. Meanwhile if you have not joined The International Telstar Owners Association please do so. Great people and great boats make it very worthwhile.

If you choose not to purchase the boat please gives me the listing details. Please excuse spelling errors as I am typing with my non-dominant hand, my left.

Warm Regards,

Pat
Last edited by Pat Ross on Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:03 am, edited 6 times in total.
Reason: