outboard steering lik

Talk about the older Telstar 26 and 8M
Rick B

outboard steering lik

Post by Rick B »

I am just about to replace the outboard on my 8 meter telstar, previous steering was via a link bar from the tiller handle to the rudder.
The new engine has no tiller bar has anyone any suggestions with regard to how to link this to the tiller, I was looking at attaching a link to the engine hood however it does not look strong enough to cope with constant steering adjustments over time.

New engine is a 9.9 4 stroke mariner big foot any suggestions gratefully received

Rick
8 meter 175 weird fish
Ron

outboard steering lik

Post by Ron »

Most outboards that size or larger have a point on the frame where you can probably bolt a rod or similar. Since yours does not have a tiller arm, they must have put someting back there. You may need to fabricate a bracket that bolts to the frame, and then attach that or an arm bolted to it to make it work. I wouldn't trust the plastic top housing.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Pat Ross

outboard steering lik

Post by Pat Ross »

Post a couple photos and we'll take a look with you.
Rick B

outboard steering lik

Post by Rick B »

HI Guys, thanks for your comments was collecting the new engine this wekend however snowed in at the moment I will check the engine stering link once I have it and also post a picture if I need some more advise.

Thanks again

Rick
ajaxpc

outboard steering lik

Post by ajaxpc »

This is probably a bit late, but here's what I did on Trina:

http://telstartrina.blogspot.com/search?q=steering+part