outboard engine size

Talk about the older Telstar 26 and 8M
Pat Ross

outboard engine size

Post by Pat Ross »

Brad,

Does the Yamaha 9.9 Hi-Thrust have the manual start available outside of the cover? I don't remember. The Tahatsu's do, all they way up to I think 25or 30HP and they have a automatic compression release once you start to use the manual crank, making the cranking a reasonable consideration. Of course they also have the long and short legs on some of their models.

Pat
Andre

outboard engine size

Post by Andre »

Brad
I have a MK1 and use a Yamaha 9.9 high thrust with a 25 inch shaft length. Most of the time cavitation is not an issue. Occasionally in large waves with crew on the foredeck I can have problems. My sled will not raise the engine enough to get the prop out of the water. I don't think a 20 inch shaft would clear the water ether. Power tilt would be nice. It is awkward to reach over the back rest to tilt the engine. Keep your crew in mind when deciding on power tilt. The force required to tilt the engine is considerable, my wife or my 12 year old son do not have the strength to tilt the engine up. They can lower it with considerable effort. To lower the engine they have to work as a team one tilting the engine up and the other releasing the tilt lock.

Andre
Ron

outboard engine size

Post by Ron »

Sandy -

A comment from someone who has a 28, not an 8M. Considering where it's mounted, I personally think that the 50hp Honda is too heavy for the bigger 28, and the 26 / 8M probably has less flotation back there. I know that a bunch of 28's have the heavier (by over 100 pounds) motor, but some of them have mentioned that the stern tends to ride deeper in the water, to the extent that some have raised the bottom paint line.

As stated above, this is my opinion, and I chose the lighter 20hp motor because of it. Others would obviously disagree, including Tony Smith who built one for himself with the 50. What's the weight of the Honda 40? The 50 is something like 230 pounds as I recall.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
petrel

outboard engine size

Post by petrel »

Sandy,

I do have an 8M and it is one of the lightweight versions so it floats higher than most and am in full agreement with Ron. The less weight on the stern the better because these boats have inadequate stern buoyancy and lots of hull rocker. The reasons why folks add stern extensions. And the reason why I am presently spending a lot of time and money restoring a very old 9.9 HP Suzuki oil injected, long shaft two stroke that weighs less than 70 pounds - with a full tank of gasoline a total of about 130 pounds.

Even with the light weight motor the stern on my boat squats while motoring when 3 people are in the cockpit. With that number of people on the boat (maximum in my opinion) I offset this by asking some to move forward. But not too much weight forward or the propeller can come out of the water in rough conditions. It is a delicate balance.

My boat sails so well that mostly I use the motor for docking, when in crowded anchorages, and when caught without wind and have found that 9.9 HP to be adequate for most situations. Definitely get a long shaft motor but check that it will tilt clear of the water when in up position before paying.

Hope this helps
Geoffrey
jonathansykes

outboard engine size

Post by jonathansykes »

Nothing like a bit of power to get you out of trouble!

I need to fit a link from the rudder to my outboard this winter and I am trying to work something out using a couple of stainless steel quick disconnect ball joints.

Any chance of getting a good picture of your EZsteer system installation? I guess you can raise the engine up, but does it also allow the engine to tilt?

Have a good Christmas.

Regards

Jonathan.
Jonathan Sykes
8m Telstar - "Morning Star"
Chichester. UK.