HUSH - Telstar Mk2 1978

Talk about the older Telstar 26 and 8M
JoeWalling

HUSH - Telstar Mk2 1978

Post by JoeWalling »

Pat and Lou in particular wanted to see some more pictures of HUSH and of course I plan to embark on quite a few projects shortly so I thought I'd create a new topic with current and future developments.

To start with, here are three pictures to do with navigation. Everything is on the port side. The radio is Standard Horizon and sits on the port shelf, at the rear near the switch panel. I can reach the handset easily from the cockpit. It is interfaced to a chart plotter - also Standard Horizon - which is mounted in the cockpit, port side.

At the forward port end there is a wide and thin wooden rack which contains dividers,pencils,ruler, calculator and odds and ends. The forward portside bin (pictured both open and closed) contains plotters, log book,other manuals and bigger items to do with navigation. The local charts sit conveniently under the front of the forward cushion.

More pictures in a minute

Joe
Pat Ross

HUSH - Telstar Mk2 1978

Post by Pat Ross »

Joe,

She is beautiful, thank you for the pics and especially describing them in detail, big help.

Pat
JoeWalling

HUSH - Telstar Mk2 1978

Post by JoeWalling »

In the cockpit there is a combined log and depth instrument, a wind speed and direction instrument, a Standard Horizon chartplotter underneath which is a bin which usually carries my small back up Garmin GPS and spare VHF, and a plastic frame which holds plasticised racing charts.

The only instrument on the starboard side is the compass and is hopefully well away from the other hardware so as to not interfere with the compass readings.
JoeWalling

HUSH - Telstar Mk2 1978

Post by JoeWalling »

Next, some general pictures of the interior, featuring the original table. This thing is a monster and the boat would probably go a knot faster if it was'nt there. Great for entertaining, though. I finished all the varnishing last year, apart from the cockpit doors. Everywhere where you see white will eventually be a softer beige colour, including headlining, walls and bulkhead. The walls underneath the cushions and a few other smaller areas are covered in a thin beige carpet which is designed for the marine industry - it has an adhesive backing and is really easy to stick on, as well as being very light. The lifting floor boards are covered with heavier bound edge carpet, screwed down onto the boards.

No-one ever goes below wearing footwear of any kind!
JoeWalling

HUSH - Telstar Mk2 1978

Post by JoeWalling »

Finally, for the moment, a picture of the galley area. I'm not quite sure what to do with this. As with so much of Tony's design work, it works superbly as it is. I'll probably just smarten it up a bit and build in a small insulated area of some sort behind the sink.

Joe
luigisante

HUSH - Telstar Mk2 1978

Post by luigisante »

Joe,

I can't tell you how timely the pictures are, as I am closing in the cabin now (hanging passageway doors and installing hatch). I have already refitted and lowered the floor to resemble a mark 2 like yours. I will be duplicating the galley on starboard and making a chart table on the port side. I want to use a bit more teak inside to modernize the cabin. I am also thinking about bonding 1/4" holly/teak ply onto my new plywood floor to make it look nicer. I am also considering veneering with teak, rather than the formica that was used on the original boat.

I am planning on making a setee that converts to bunk beds on the port side and restoring the original double conversion on the starboard side. I would like to make these items and, possbily the table, out of sandwich construction to save weight. I have the original fiberglass tilt out storage bins like you have on your boat. What is that grey stripe on the top of the one at your chart table - a plastic trim of sorts or paint?

I agree that the original design is hard to improve upon. Your boat is remarkably like mine. I have all of the original cabinet doors and the like so I will be recreating much of what Tony Smith built initially, but trying to provide a bit more finish than the original. I am considering lowering the galley a bit and flush mounting the propane cooker. I will likely have a rail mounted grill, so I see no need for a broiler unit, like the original design had (I think they still use a broiler unit - No?). The flush mounted propane cooker comes with a cutting board top which maximizes the workspace in the cabin.

I am going with a porta pottie in the forepeak for the first season, but suspect that I will be installing a Lavac marine toilet and holding tank before long.

Again, thanks for the photos. They are a big help.

Lou
Mark I
Hull #52
JoeWalling

HUSH - Telstar Mk2 1978

Post by JoeWalling »

Hi Lou,

My boat was originally bought for export to the Netherlands. The badge you see on the chart table is actually a montage of knots with the names of the knots written in Flemish. I've kept it as a nod to its heritage.

I don't know what a broiler is. HUSH just has a simple two burner gas stove which I guess you can see. You'll see a pipe, which has an inline shut off valve just behind the stove, going forward. This eventually ends up in the chain locker compartment and is attached to the gas bottle. The chain locker has a drain hole. The forward bulkhead to the chain locker has a circular plastic screw hatch about 8 inch diametre, accessible from inside, above the marine toilet. The gas bottle regulator sits immediately behind this hatch so it is easy to activate and deactivate the gas from inside.

I don't like punching holes in the boat below the waterline, but I do like the marine toilet. Its easy to fit and the inlet and the outlet pipes have the only seacocks on the boat. Holding tanks are not a requirement over here as yet so I don't have one.

I'm not planning on doing much on the interior this winter so its good to hear ideas e.g., your bunks to port. I think the bins are great but I will eventually want to have padded seats to form back rests.

I did think about teak/holly floors or one of the 'fake' composites but, as we are all bare foot when below decks, I preferred to have some carpet for comfort and grip. My carpets are both taped and screwed down - the pile is quite thick so you can't see the screws - and this is really useful for grip when changing the centreboard setting whilst under way. This is an important consideration, however you decide to solve it - you need to make sure your feet don't slip and you can't brace against the table, the mounting isn't strong enough (something else for the work sheet!)

Joe
JoeWalling

HUSH - Telstar Mk2 1978

Post by JoeWalling »

Lou

These are the pictures i referred to in the Corian post. You can see the carpet sidelining in some of them. Also in 0835 and 0836 you can see bits of it by the bulkhead door at the bottom - these cover up rough areas.

By the way, has anyone come up with an alternative to those horrible cupboard door hinges?

Joe
JoeWalling

HUSH - Telstar Mk2 1978

Post by JoeWalling »

Freshly scrubbed and ready for the season. Have not done much to her over the winter except refurbish the cockpit
Pat Ross

HUSH - Telstar Mk2 1978

Post by Pat Ross »

Joe,

She looks great :) . Starting on mine this week, don't expect to have her back in the water for a year.

Pat :(