Cockpit Cover

Talk about the older Telstar 26 and 8M
JoeWalling

Cockpit Cover

Post by JoeWalling »

Some pics of our now very grubby boat, with the cockpit cover on. Its a bit creased as it has not been used in a while. It hooks on to the guard rails, the mast and the rear wooden rails very quickly. It can be used,variously and depending on how near the neighbours are, as a sun/wind/rainbreak, a shower curtain, toilet tent, outdoor sleeping privacy tent. Also, looking at these pictures, I could probably get away with not using the mainsail cover for shortish periods.

Joe
luigisante

Cockpit Cover

Post by luigisante »

Perfect place to have cocktails on a rainy day. : )
Pat Ross

Cockpit Cover

Post by Pat Ross »

Great photos, Thanks! Great looking boat.

Pat
JoeWalling

Cockpit Cover

Post by JoeWalling »

Hi Pat

Thanks for comment about the boat. Most of it is due to the owner before last. He used to race HUSH. One of the best things he did was to have all the lines going back to the cockpit , sat in front of a big winch - heaven! See picture. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I think that the smaller windows really suit the Telstar. I think it makes her look bigger than she is and a little less 'beetle-like'from some angles. I have enclosed a picture of her which I took through the window of the Telstar which is moored next to HUSH, when I went on board to photograph the kick up rudder modification. Also attached is a picture of the window from the inside. Having been on the other Telstar, I don't feel that there is a loss of light, maybe because you sit near the window anyway. The previous owner glassed in plywood sides when he took out the old windows and then put the smaller ones in. He did this apparently for reasons of strength and rigidity.

Joe
luigisante

Cockpit Cover

Post by luigisante »

Thanks for the photos of the lines being led aft. It helps me to figure out how to do mine. What lines are led aft?

Since every Telstar owner I have known has complained of leaks around the windows, your modification was clearly a great idea. I replaced all of mine with new lexan, fasteners and silicone but I can see how your boat's set up would be stronger and less likely to leak.

Lou

Keep the pics comming - I am a sponge for information now because I am finally focusing on the cabin and hardware issues.
Pat Ross

Cockpit Cover

Post by Pat Ross »

Thanks Joe,

I am with Lou, photos and explanations are very helpful.

Pat
JoeWalling

Cockpit Cover

Post by JoeWalling »

This is in response to Lou asking which lines are led aft. Delay in replying is, I'm ashamed to say, because I could'nt remember one of them so I went out to the boat today to find out and to take the other photographs which I have just posted. So, currently on the cockpit jammers are 8 lines - Asymetric halliard and asymetric tack line (whatever that is properly called - this line attaches to the tack of the sail and is run back to the cockpit via a block on the side of the bowsprit), topping lift, kicking strap (which I believe you call a boom vang), mainsail halliard, first and second reefing lines and the mainsail outhaul.

There are two other control line on board - the jib halliard, which is made off on the mast, and the jib roller reefing line which goes through a jammer on the outside starboard cockpit coaming.

Joe