H&L Marine Woodworking

Talk about the older Telstar 26 and 8M
Ron

H&L Marine Woodworking

Post by Ron »

Just got an interesting letter and thank you for our order of 7 tillers for the Telstar 28. Our source was H&L Marine Woodworking out of Rancho Domingo, CA (USA). I believe they are the oldest and maybe largest of any marine wookworking facility in the world, having been in business for 55 years and supplying parts for countless boats, including every one of the 80,000+ Catalina's that have been built to date. The standard tiller on the Telstar 28 was made by them as well. They pride themselves on working with many boat builders and one design associations, and the quality of their work is excellent.

Anyway, we now have a source for interior and exterior woodworking pieces at wholesale prices, with the association equated to a dealer or builder. They do not sell to the general public. Note that they can build an entire interior as well. This would probably be more for the older 26's, 8M's, etc., and especially handy for those who are rebuilding or restoring their boats. We would need accurate drawings of the various components, what hull numbers it was used on, the type of wood, etc. Since the association is acting as the dealer, the order would have to filter thru us, and we'd probably have to limit it to members only.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
seicam

H&L Marine Woodworking

Post by seicam »

Thanks Ron for sharing this. This is one more reason (of many already existing ones) to encourage people to join the association.

I do not have an immediate need for woodwork (just got the boat this year), but down the road may use their services. Is there a web site that shows examples of their products (other than the tiller)? I could not find a direct web site through web search.

Regards,
Maciek
Ron

H&L Marine Woodworking

Post by Ron »

The owner of the company must be similar to Dave Bierig (Bierig Sails). Neither has a web site or an email id, and I don't think they are interested in ever getting one. This internet thing won't last, right - like Beta, VHS and Laser Disks? H&L has a printed catalog which they are going to send to me. You can find some reference material about them on the web - but that's limited to phone numbers and address, etc.

I once asked Dave Bierig about this and he told me that he had an email id for a few weeks, but didn't like it and never really used it. He's a sail maker, not a computer operator.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
luigisante

H&L Marine Woodworking

Post by luigisante »

Hey Ron, I might be looking for a teak folding table for the cabin. I'll let you know when I get in the cabin a have a better handle on what I want to do in there.

Lou