Rudder Rebuild

Talk about the older Telstar 26 and 8M
Pat Ross

Rudder Rebuild

Post by Pat Ross »

BTW, I think you crazy if you don't take the rudder case that was offered. It would make the refitting so much easier. IMHO.

Lou
Lou, I must be missing something. Rudder rebuild is not that difficult and I have the rudder box that needs some upgrade but the bones are there. It is the rudder box which I think came with the boat so it is setup correctly, so this why I am unclear about your thinking.

Pat
luigisante

Rudder Rebuild

Post by luigisante »

You might be right. I've seen the pictures you're posted of the rudder on your 8 meter and I've never seen that type of blade rudder on a Telstar before. All of the 8 meters I have seen in the newsletters over the years had the same rudder box and rudder style that the early boats had. It looks like somebody cut down your boat's original case, which, at one time was identical to all of the other ones out there. A smaller dagger board like rudder was supplanted for the large mahogany rudder that the boat had originally (or so I think). It also looks like the tiller was cut down and glassed onto the front of the rudder case.

I guess I look at the task of rebuilding something that has been so adulterated and wince. It you don't find that daunting, my hat is off to you. I'm assuming that you have really good glassing skills. My instinct would be to avoid it if possible.

Lou
Pat Ross

Rudder Rebuild

Post by Pat Ross »

Wow Lou,

I had not realized the rudder box had been modified also, bummer. I don't have a problem doing the rudder but I think I need more detail about the rudder box to decide what to do about that. Thanks for clarifying. Now I see what you were addressing. A year ago I began really learning about fiberglass and boat building. I was fortunate enough to go to a Derek Kelsall workshop on Resin Infusion. Since then I have done quite a bit of fiberglass work so I am feeling comfortable about the rudder. But I may need to build a mold if I need a new rudder box.

Looking at the photos of my rudder box below do you think she looks significantly different than yours?

Rudder Holder right side.jpg (28.58 KiB) Viewed 63 times

Profile Rudder Handle.jpg (29.05 KiB) Viewed 63 times

Looking at the aft view of the rudder box, what is supposed to be on the aft part? Is there something that bridges the box sides? It almost looks like the rudder was designed to kick-up when in contact with the bottom.

aft view rudder holder.jpg (31.95 KiB) Viewed 63 times

Pat
Pat Ross

Rudder Rebuild

Post by Pat Ross »

JoeWalling wrote:Hi Pat

Not sure how much of a hurry you are in. In the next month or so, I'm going to lift out and have the stern extension done. After that, I will not need my existing rudder casing which is in v good condition and was strengthened by the previous owner. You are welcome to it for free if you want to pick up the postage costs. If you are interested I'll post some pics when I haul out and will get an idea of shipping costs.

Joe

Joe,

Please keep me in mind and check on shipping fees if you would be so kind.

Thanks,

Pat
JoeWalling

Rudder Rebuild

Post by JoeWalling »

Will do Pat. I'll weigh it when I take it off and go from there.

Joe
luigisante

Rudder Rebuild

Post by luigisante »

I have read a lot about the kelsail course. It is supposto be top flight. Most of my glass skills are self taught, starting from building wood core surf boards, to foam core, beach cats, etc. I started with styrene based products and, after reading the Gogeon Bros. book, I started using West epoxy and never looked back. Although I can do most any repairs, I never learned the new techniques like vacuum bagging. I barely have patience to construct a mold.

Maybe someday, i'll treat myself to the course.