Old Association Newsletters

Talk about the older Telstar 26 and 8M
Marina

Post by Marina »

Pat Ross wrote:OOPS, I should have checked that. I guess you are going to be the one who knows more than anyone else on this forums since you are the only owner I know of a Marina model. Is she trailerable, would seem possible? Did you find a Hull Number?

Pat
Pat.
Yes, she is trailerable, but it's a little complicated. Basically, when the floats are swung in,the boat is still 11 foot wide which is still not road legal over here. The only reference I have found on the boats trailerabilty states that the boats width can be further reduced to 2.5m when off the water for trailering. Now I can only assume that this involves removing the amas and placing them under the hull on the trailer, but that would require some real planning and rigging up of aids to be be managable. I'm hoping to find some more reference on this further width reduction for trailering or speak to Tony Smith himself about it. It's important for us that it can be trailered as we plan to take the boat down to the med for extended cruising. Our goal is to make it achievable for 2 men with no external help. It doesn't matter if it takes a whole day as it's only for extended cruises. We will be leaving her on a swinging mooring in season and can easily trailer home at the end of the season at it's 11 foot width by simply informing the police that we intend to do so.

Harvey.
Pat Ross

Post by Pat Ross »

Harvey,

Trailerability even at 11' is possible in the U.S. it just requires a special permit, around $100/yr US. I think there are limitations on when you can trailer a boat that wide with this permit, depends on each state you are travelling through as to their regulations. For example you may be able to trailer your boat at that width Monday through Friday, but not on weekends or Holidays. I don't think the fee is that bad and have considered a few boats that were over the 8'6" width myself in the past.

I will work on the drawings this week for the system that Joe S. uses to raise the amas. My caveat to the whole deal is to add the 12V electric winch to the setup, probably mounted on the trailer, and make it a one person, man or women deal, to raise or lower the amas.

Hull Number?

Pat
Marina

Post by Marina »

Pat.
I'm sure we will come up with something re trailering. Unfortunately I still don't have the hull number as I haven't been back down to Falmouth since completion. should be picking up in a week or so assuming weather and tide can be co-ordinate themselves nicely for us!