Bowsprit

Talk about the older Telstar 26 and 8M
JoeWalling

Bowsprit

Post by JoeWalling »

Someone - Lou I think - asked for some pics of my homemade bowsprit. Here they are. Next weekend we have a rally out in the Solent. The Solent is the home of the Isle of Wight, Cowes week and the start of the Fastnet race. We think all of these things are world famous sailing places and events but who knows? Emsworth, where we and our boat live, is just 4 beautiful nautical miles from the Solent. And we currently have about 25 degrees celcius. Anyway, enough of this self publicity and back to the rally. Winds permitting, I'll load the asymetric cruising chute (do you call that a screecher?) and ask someone to take pictures.

Joe
Dan

Bowsprit

Post by Dan »

Joe—

Nice setup. It does look a lot like the new modular bowsprits that you can purchase nowadays. Does yours have a bobstay or not??
JoeWalling

Bowsprit

Post by JoeWalling »

No, but that's a great idea. In the winter, I'm going to have a nice new wooden one made and I'll anchor it with a bobstay. thanks for the tip.

Joe
luigisante

Bowsprit

Post by luigisante »

Thanks for the Pics Joe. They help a lot. I have an old bowsprint from my Hobie 17 when I had it rigged for an asymetric (the boat literally flew). The aluminum tubing from the Hobie looks similar in strength to the tubing in the pictures, it is already rigged for the spinnaker and it has a twin bobstay.

Lou