Telstar 8M MDI Review

Talk about the older Telstar 26 and 8M
Pat Ross

Telstar 8M MDI Review

Post by Pat Ross »

Calvin H. Markwood and I started a multihull website over 5 years ago. To make a long story short there were 3 such sites for monohulls but nothing for multihulls. In 2007 I did a Trend-Line report on the Telstar 8M simply because I liked the design, I never realized I would have the opportunity to own one. After I purchased hull 253 Cal Markwood did a "Cal's Eval" report. Together they form what we call a Custom Multihull Review. It does not involve a sailing review strictly a review by the numbers. I offer it here for your enjoyment.

Pat

http://www.multihulldynamics.com/news_article.asp?articleID=101
luigisante

Telstar 8M MDI Review

Post by luigisante »

What a great piece. Could the increase in sail area to 384 be accomplished by adding a screacher or do your figures presuppose an adjustment to the standard main/jib rig from 320 to 384?

Lou Giansante
Pat Ross

Telstar 8M MDI Review

Post by Pat Ross »

luigisante wrote:What a great piece. Could the increase in sail area to 384 be accomplished by adding a screacher or do your figures presuppose an adjustment to the standard main/jib rig from 320 to 384? Lou Giansante
Lou,

We try and keep apples to apples and oranges to oranges in our database. Difficult to do sometimes but one of the key pieces of the puzzle is that only the "main and number 1 jib size" are used to do the calculations. You can always add sail, and of course the Bruce Number, Sail Area/Disp, etc, etc.. all change proportionately. There is also a reduction in the Stabiity numbers to consider. In this way we can compare designs best we can.

Pat