Centerboard Modifications

Talk about the older Telstar 26 and 8M
Pat Ross

Post by Pat Ross »

Ron,

You mentioned you reshaped your Centerboard, do you have drawings; and would you write a description about that modification/upgrade?

Pat
JoeWalling

Post by JoeWalling »

Hi Pat

The centreboard reshape drawing is just that little drawing next to the wingdeck raise and there is a small amount of text towards the end of the document.It was done on my boat before I bought it so I have no experience about how hard it is to do. Cheers. Joe
Ron

Post by Ron »

Joe -

PCI changed the centerboard on the 28's starting at around hull 358 or 359. I could be the first at 359, because I was expecting a 4 1/2 foot draft and got around 5 1/4 instead. Considering that I sail in somewhat shallow water, I may have been happier with the shorter board. They also modified the housing in the cabin to take it.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Dan

Post by Dan »

Ron—

Joe and Pat are discussing the centerboard on the older 8m, which was not shaped as well as the one on the T2s IIRC...
Pat Ross

Post by Pat Ross »

JoeWalling wrote:Hi Pat

The centreboard reshape drawing is just that little drawing next to the wingdeck raise and there is a small amount of text towards the end of the document.It was done on my boat before I bought it so I have no experience about how hard it is to do. Cheers. Joe
Joe,

I seem to be having difficulty locating this drawing you mention above. I have looked at the two that Ron posted both on this site and on the Google site and I do not see the Centerboard drawing, can you send it to me?

Joe, where are you sailing out of?
Ron

Post by Ron »

Dan wrote:Ron—

Joe and Pat are discussing the centerboard on the older 8m, which was not shaped as well as the one on the T2s IIRC...
I realize that. Pat must have thought that I had a 26 or 8M also. Was just pointing out that the newer T2's (28's) got a new one at about hull 359 - I had mentioned that mine was different. I think I was the first - didn't even expect it.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
JoeWalling

Post by JoeWalling »

Pat

Its just that little drawing above the words 'new profile from existing'. As I say, nothing to get overly excited about, but you can imagine it would be an improvement on the angular original.

Joe
luigisante

Post by luigisante »

Here is an interesting modification to a Mark 1 centerboard. I think the cutting of the rounded part of the board and the lever section is too radical. I also think narrowing the centerboard to accommodate the NACA foil shape is a mistake. I am planning on doing a bit less extreme trimming to my new kevlar centerboard and keeping the width of the board consistent from the top to bottom. You can see from the cross section that the board was lofted.

th_ModifiedCenterboard.jpg (3.73 KiB) Viewed 73 times

th_ModifiedCenterboardXsection.jpg (1.58 KiB) Viewed 73 times

Lou G.