Stern Extension

Talk about the older Telstar 26 and 8M
Pat Ross

Stern Extension

Post by Pat Ross »

Let's start a new topic. I'll open discussion.
Pat Ross

Stern Extension

Post by Pat Ross »

JoeWalling wrote: The two photos on this post show the final bottom part, before the 'lid' goes on. Jonathan has glassed in three pieces of aluminium so that the rudder pintels and the two backstay plates can be either bolted or tapped in. I'm going to have a V shaped sling made to meet the original backstay - which will be shortened probably. The sling will be terminated on one side with a block and tackle, exactly the same as Rod's Lapwing, so that the mast tension can be altered.

The new extension is immensely strong due to the number of layers of matting and is further strengthened by the three glassed in foam cheeks that you can see.
Joe

CIMG0865.JPG (134.73 KiB) Viewed 113 times

CIMG0871.JPG (161.54 KiB) Viewed 113 times

Joe,

Just for my own clarication, the "glass foam supports" you are referring to, they are: 1. the tubular piece running the Center of the length of the extension, bow to stern and 2. the patial foam tube on each side of hull where sides meet the floor, is this correct?

Pat
Pat Ross

Stern Extension

Post by Pat Ross »

JoeWalling wrote:Yes, I think its cool too, but my yard are not so keen. It is true that you absolutely cannot see any join and they and I are proud of that. I'm actually in the laborious process of rubbing down the entire boat, in prep for repainting. I don't think it will be until I have done this, or at least applied the antifouling, that I will get an eye for the boat's new proportions. At that time, I may, or may not, feel the need to disguise the length of the extension through some paint 'distraction'. Joe

Personally I view that aspect of the extension as an opptunity to place "those unique markings" to that design modification. I've never seen such marking designations on any monohull or multihull design I know of, there may be one or two, but most definitely unique. I would also change the main sail LOGO to reflect 8.8 in the center of the logo.

Pat
JoeWalling

Stern Extension

Post by JoeWalling »

Well, here she is out of the shed. I can get a better eye for the lines now. I am really really pleased with the slope of the top of the extension and with its overall dimensions. This extension seems to complement the front part of the central hull and makes the whole thing better balanced. It is still difficult to show in the photos but it reminds me now of a power boat, or even a torpedo. It looks as though its doing 10 knots just sat on its cradle. It will look better when the antifoul line is on and, I hope, even better in the water.

I'm still undecided about the transom and rudder arrangement. I'm going to leave it as it is and get sailing as I soon as I can, but I'm more and more inclined to have another piece put on to bring the top and bottom together at an angle the same as the end of the amas and to fit a spade rudder and straight tiller. Next year, though.

I measured the boat today. From the pushpit to the end of the tiller is exactly 31 feet and the bowsprit adds a further 28 inches. Is this the longest Telstar around ( apart from the old 35 ft production boat ( I'd love to see one of these - there is one for sale in Greece).

I'm now in the laborious process of sanding down the entire boat. I hope to have her repainted and back in the water by the end of the month.We'll see

Joe
Pat Ross

Stern Extension

Post by Pat Ross »

Those are the kinds of problems to have. She looks great. Can't wait to hear how she handles differently.

Congrats! :)

Pat
JoeWalling

Stern Extension

Post by JoeWalling »

Thanks Pat

Here's a better picture, more sideways on
Marina

Stern Extension

Post by Marina »

Hi Joe, congratulations on the stern extension! I've recently purchased an 8m which i shall be collecting within the next month or so. It has had many professional modifications made, including a stern extension. Mine however doesn't seem quite so long, is curved down to the water with integral steps and a cassette rudder incorporated. Will post pictures when i get the boat home. Harvey.
JoeWalling

Stern Extension

Post by JoeWalling »

Hi Harvey

I did 'send' you a mail a coupla days ago but I must of hit a rogue
button because it did'nt go. Welcome to the Telstar world. I think you are in West Wales? I was brought up in Pembroke Dock and went to Pembroke grammar when my Dad was in the Navy and stationed there. We are in Emsworth on the south coast - there are three or four Telstars in the area.

I'd like to see some pictures of yours - what is she called? I'm rubbing down HUSH at the moment - what a job, these boats have a large surface area. It is quite easy to sand off by accident the bobbles on the non slip parts. On the plus side, I only plan to clean these areas before painting, the non slip texture covers a multitude of sins.

Joe
Marina

Stern Extension

Post by Marina »

shwmae Joe!

I live in Neyland.If I look out of my window I see right over the haven to Pembrock dock! Small world huh! Do you ever get back here? Lovely place to cruise.

Our telstar is in Falmouth, so you may have seen it about! We have no real sailing experience and were more powerboat orientated, owning a 6mtr rib, however we have always dreamed of cruising further afield and staying aboard, powered by nothing but free wind! Our telstars trailer is currently in poor condition so we will be sailing it back to pembs!- Quite scary considering the lack of experience, but we are well up for the challenge, and we have Welsh hwyl on our side!

The anti-slip on ours has been painted with grey non-slip paint which we are keen to remove. I guess we will have to try some paint stripper on those areas. Alternatively we may smooth the areas and apply non-slip adhesive sheets over them, but we will have to make a proper assessment when we have the boat at hand. I'm not too keen on painting good paint onto bad.. Are you taking yours back to the gel coat on the other areas? How are you removing it? What paint and application method are you using? I'm sure it's going to be a massive job, so we want to do it properly and use the best materials so that we are not doing it again in a few years time...

Will be sure to post pics and info when we get the boat home

Hwyl

Harvey
JoeWalling

Stern Extension

Post by JoeWalling »

No I haven't seen her about. I assume its the one which was on Boatshed for a while? I nearly went to look at her but I was in love with HUSH by then.
I haven't been back to Pembroke this century, but I keep meaning to - lots of happy memories as a lad and one scary one. I was on my own - playing truant and fishing - down at the slip one sunny day in 1961 when a load of landing craft turned up to disgorge tanks in a colour that I had not seen before. They were German tanks. My Dad was in charge of Defense and I remember thinking ' Dad, you've really ****ed up here'. The Germans had not been allowed to shoot much at anything or anyone since the end of WW2 and this kinda went against the grain so the UK government of the time figured this great wheeze where they'd charge the Germans a pretty penny to let them roll their tanks around Manorbier and bomb the hell out of the place, assuming that people would either not notice, not care, or both. Even if they were wrong, they probably would not be able to hear the gunfire in Whitehall anyway. Dad was obviously too busy to prewarn his first lieutenant - me, of course - about this plan so I about to face the might of the German army, armed with my trusty fishing rod, when I remembered just in time that I should have been in school and I hightailed it out of there pretty damn quick. Since then, I know that there is a God but I think his punishment of truants to be a touch on the severe side. That is a true story, the memory etched as clearly in my mind as it was then, some 45 years ago.