On the wind performance

Talk about the older Telstar 26 and 8M
Fatboyfinn

On the wind performance

Post by Fatboyfinn »

Any advice would be gratefully received on getting my Mk 2 to go better on the wind. Racing with a F2/3 the other day we were making 5/6 knots but only managing 130 degree
tacking angles. I'm setting the genoa outside the shrouds with sheets brought back to the track by the cockpit, is that normal? Would it be better to roll the the genoa in a bit
so that the leach fits in front of the spreaders so the sheeting angle can be narrower - inside the shrouds? Is the genoa too big? Or maybe I need a concave leach. Also, the genoa needs to be walked through as it gets wrapped around the "baby stay". Apart from that I love the boat, great off wind performance and every thing else that goes with multihull sailing.
We were way ahead at the start of the race with a broad reach - wonderful - then the wind backed so we were hard on the wind and damn it they all slowly caught up. May be the trouble is too much dinghy racing with less than 90 degree tacking angle - spoilt.

Andy
Telstar 127 and Finn 563
trashpad

On the wind performance

Post by trashpad »

Did you have the main on center line? With the T28 I get the best VMG with a fairly flat main and use the traveler to pull it up to center. After that I haul in the jib tight till just before I start to back wind the main. Depending on the wind, you can also move the crew forward to pull the back of the boat up. From there on out watch the boat speed and sail to the jibs tell-tails
Dan

On the wind performance

Post by Dan »

Given the age of the boat, I would have to ask what kind of shape are the sails in?

If the sails are blown out, which is often the case with older sails, then your ability to point and sail well upwind will be compromised. Also, furling the sail on a roller furling setup will generally make the sail shape worse, and not improve your ability to point. Most roller furling systems don’t really work well once you’ve furled up about 30% of the sail, though newer furling systems tend to be a bit better. Adding a rope or foam luff to the sail can help improve the shape of the furled sail as well.
Ron

On the wind performance

Post by Ron »

Andy -

There are a number of things that will slow you down and hurt your ability to sail into the wind. As Dan pointed out, the general shape of the sails and furling a head sail are near the top of the list. There's also rig tension, condition of hull, sheet angles, having the center board not all of the way down, motor dragging in the water, gusty and variable winds with a light boat, sea state (chop, etc.), too much weight on the boat, sail plan not balanced, and many others. You probably know all of this already. One other thought (which you probably know as well) - multihulls lose some of their advantages going close into the wind or running from it, and taking his line in either direction may not be the best thing to do if you want to beat him there. I can tack at about 90 degrees, but I'm better off with the 130 (or more) that you mentioned. Since he caught you with your boat at 65 degrees (true) to the wind, I'd look to fine tune everything else.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
ajaxpc

On the wind performance

Post by ajaxpc »

I've got a Mk II - you can see my Blog on it at:

http://telstartrina.blogspot.com/

(1) Tension your rigging properly - this may require attention to the mast support, which can distort.

(2) I've had new sails made, and I got a smaller jib so that I can set it to the inside tracks. I lose a bit of power off wind, but the boat points better and the sail is *much* easier to handle (no more snagging on the baby stay ...). I'll save up for a genniker for off wind sailing.

(3) Going to windward in a chop is sometimes a bit soul destroying - the boat hobby horses a bit a throws wind out of the sails. You can settle the main a bit by rigging preventer in these conditions, but you really just have to bear away ...

(4) You're probably not going to work miracles. I can get the boat tacking through about 110-120 degrees true in good conditions (checking the GPS course over the ground) when I'm sailing with the wind just about on the arms of the masthead indicator, and definitely into the 'close hauled' area of the electronic display. I can pinch a bit higher, but the boat slows down a *lot*.

I think extending the stern (as some owners have done) helps with both the hobby-horsing and the windward ability. I'd like to hear from anyone who has done this.

Regards,
Last edited by ajaxpc on Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: