Restoring the Mark 1 to Jet power.

Talk about the older Telstar 26 and 8M
luigisante

Post by luigisante »

A few years ago, I had completed most of the structural work on my boat and was ready to tackle the cabin. My Mark 1 was originally fitted with a 28 H.P. Rotax engine and a UA Jetdrive. When I looked up the original owner of my boat, he sent me a load of original paperwork. Included in that was correspondence between the owner and UA. The Jet Drive appeared to be better at generating galvanic electricity than propelling the Telstar. By the time I got it, my boat carried only the scars of the original drive and a hastily configured outboard mount.

Since I was trying to keep the boat as close to origianl as possible, I had considered replacing the UA drive. I found an old Rotax 303 engine and had the original drive which had been left in the boat. Gone were the thru hulls and motor mounts. Thus, if I wanted to install a motor and drive, I would have to start from scratch.

A guy named Larry Pullon came up with the idea of canabolizing old jetskis to convert small jon boats to jet power. Larry cut out the portion of the jet that had the motor mounts and thru hull as well as the mounting hardware for the jet pump. It worked very well in Jonboats.

I decided to have a go at converting my boat back to original jet power using Larry's concept. To his credit, Joe Siudzinski told me I was crazy. In hindsight, he was right. He always told me that I appeared to like boatbuilding more than sailing. He was probably not too far off. Actually, with the constraints on my time over the past few years, I have had little time for sailing, other than beach cats.

Anyway, I cut a huge gaping hole in my boat to accomodate the canabalized Waverunner that I bought and cut down the waverunner to fit. There, the project has sat. I recently started back on the boat and last weekend finally trimmed the waverunner piece to fit snuggly into the aft of the Telstar. The insert only needs minor adjusting (which I will do by wedging the molding in place with foam) and I am ready to glass it in.

I tried to upload a couple of photos but they are in the 500k range. The program says they're too large. Anybody know how I shrink them?

I am so glad to see this part of the project nearing completion. I think the rest of the refit should fall in place easily due to the fact that I have only cosmetics left.

Lou G.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Lou -

Joe is right about the jet-drive. Tony was thinking about doing a 50hp version on the new boat but correctly gave that up. I've got a SeaDoo 20 foot jet-boat with a Mercury 250hp EFI motor and I never really liked it. It's very quick and can do tight figure-8's at speed, but low speed manuevering is almost non-existant. Having a rudder in back may help, but the Telstar is much better off with an outboard that rotates with the tiller / rudder. Not sure if the older boats had the linkage, but it's easy to do it yourself if needed. I had a wing keel Catalina 250 about 2 years ago where I connected the rudder with the Honda 9.9 frame, using a stainless steel rod and rod-end bearings.

You can shrink any photo with most photo software (such as Adobe, Microsoft Digital Image, maybe even Paint. Just reduce the size and / or the resolution and the file size will shrink as well. If you want to stay the same size or go larger, sign up with one of the photo saving web sites (like Photo Bucket) and put the link(s) into the message. It's usually handled as an imbedded IMG command, but the URL should work as well.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
trashpad

Post by trashpad »

I would love to have one of the roster tails shooting up. I always wanted to glue a bent tube on the transom of the amas to get one.
luigisante

Post by luigisante »

Here is a picture of the waverunner cutout in the aft end of the Telstar ready for final fitting and glassing.

th_IMG0002800002.jpg (7.25 KiB) Viewed 387 times

th_IMG00031.jpg (2.73 KiB) Viewed 387 times

*Edits*

I added a side view of the fitting after the molding had been adjusted a bit. You can see it starting to fit better. The main tasks are to place the thrust line on the centerline of the boat and to deflect the pump exhaust down about 5-6 degrees. The last picture is taken from the engine compartment down. You can see how well the insert fits in the old engine compartment. There are still two issues that concern me - first is the depth of the cockpit. It might interfere with the engine installation in the front. Second is the restricted amount of space in the compartment beside the engine because of the room needed for the header and exhaust. By my rough estimates, It looked like the engine will fit and the exhaust will fit as well.

Lou
Last edited by luigisante on Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: