Ama load capacity and balance

Talk about the older Telstar 26 and 8M
Pat Ross

Post by Pat Ross »

I have read a few comments regarding items being stored in the amas. I am wanting to know if there is any specific information regarding the amount of weight, and its placement for storage use in the amas. I am also curious to know what people are actually carrying successfully in their amas.

Regards,

Pat
trashpad

Post by trashpad »

I carry two 6 gallon gas tanks and all my fenders in my stb ama. The weight helps offset my Honda 50 I have on my T2
gary green

Post by gary green »

I have the Honda six gallon fuel tank and it can not fit through the hatch in the ama. I'm wondering whether PCI changed the hatch size or what kind of tank are you using? I did a minor modification to the fuel locker and can store my 6 and 3 gallon tanks in there with no problem.

gary g
Pat Ross

Post by Pat Ross »

Kurt,

I am still learning the Telstar short hand. T2, does that stand for Telstar 26 MKII? Do I understand you are using a 50HP outboard on your boat?

Pat
trashpad

Post by trashpad »

@Garry, I picked up two 6 gal tanks from West Marine for cheep. They will fit but you have to turn it upside down and get the filler cap in first then the handle and it will slid in. Another twist and they sit upright.

@Pat, We call the latest version of the Telstar a T2. Not sure who started it. And yes, I have a Honda 50 and love it. \\
Ron

Post by Ron »

Personally, I prefer the moniker T28 for the current version. But T2 is ok too. That way we'd have T26, T8m, and T35 for abreviated names.

I've probably had 600 pounds on one ama - meaning 3 large people. And it had very litte effect on trim or stability. Actually, I like sitting out there with a tiller extension or remote control to steer, especially when I'm down in Florida. I've had dolphins swimming alongside and with the very low ama freeboard they were just looking over the coaming at me sitting in the ama - maybe 2 feet away. Could have petted them (but didn't).
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Pat Ross

Post by Pat Ross »

How Cool ... 8-) I look forward to that day. I had not considered a tiller extension on a tri, though I have used them with monos. Thanks for the idea.

Pat
trashpad

Post by trashpad »

I had asked Tony once about the buoyancy of the T28 amas, he said that they are around 150% each. That would make each ama able to support 4500 - 6000 pounds depending on what total weight you use.
ajaxpc

Post by ajaxpc »

I generally have about 100 litres of water in my port ama after a stiff day on the wind ... maybe a bit less in the starboard one.

Sorry - I may be on the wrong thread. Isn't this the Mk II section?

(!)

New hatches are on my list, though ...
Pat Ross

Post by Pat Ross »

ajaxpc wrote:I generally have about 100 litres of water in my port ama after a stiff day on the wind ... maybe a bit less in the starboard one.

Sorry - I may be on the wrong thread. Isn't this the Mk II section? (!)

New hatches are on my list, though ...
Yes you are on the right thread, I am asking people who own 26 and 8M's what they put in their amas for load capacity. I am looking at new hatches myself. But seriously do you carry anything in your amas, if so what?

Thanks for your reply! ;)

Pat