Mark I mainsail?

Talk about the older Telstar 26 and 8M
luigisante

Mark I mainsail?

Post by luigisante »

Hello all:

I am looking for a mainsail from an early Mark 1 telstar if anyone has an old one that they want to part with. I am having a new main made but the sailmaker will have to work from measurements of the mast and boom alone. I would prefer that he have a template to work with in designing the improvements I am looking for (i want a fully battented main for instance). I know this is a shot in the dark, but nevertheless, I'm giving it a shot.

Lou Giansante
Dan

Mark I mainsail?

Post by Dan »

Lou—

Just remember that the measurements may be better gotten based on the mast and boom than an old, used sail that may no longer have its proper shape.

Dan
luigisante

Mark I mainsail?

Post by luigisante »

Good point Dan. Since I'm a belt and suspenders guy, I was hoping to have an old main to give to the sailmaker and let him measure the boom and mast.

Lou
Ron

Mark I mainsail?

Post by Ron »

Lou -

Dan is correct. Much better to give the sailmaker the exact P and E measurements of YOUR mast and boom than an old sail that may have been used with a different setup, and which obviously won't fit yours. After over 30 years and xx owners, you have no idea what has been changed on the boat.

I'm trying to get PCI to release all of the old specs and manuals that they may have saved - to put somewhere on this site. Anyone who has any legible copies can help out here as well.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
luigisante

Mark I mainsail?

Post by luigisante »

I have the orignal genoa from the Telstar that was in such good shape that i was able to have it recut for a furler. The same sailmaker is making my main. He is local, so he has access to my boat. The sailmaker is going to take the measurements right from the mast and boom. Since it is a masthead rig on the old boats, we thought that it would be nice to look at an old OEM sail to see the pin head main. I think I should have been more clear about what I was looking for.

I know that all of the builder's molds were destroyed in a fire and assumed that the original sail specifications were gone as well. It would be great to get the measurements for the main from the factory if possible.

Lou
Pat Ross

Mark I mainsail?

Post by Pat Ross »

I think that would be great if PCI shared those files. I do not know how many of the total number of 26's and 8's are around but they are perhaps the best multihull purchase a sailor could make when performance, stability, size and price are all factored together.

Pat