26 and 8M reference material

Talk about the older Telstar 26 and 8M
commodore
Site Admin

Post by commodore »

If anyone has any reference material on the 26 and 8M, please let me know. We can put copies of it on this forum or on the website for everyone to access. This could include manuals, magazine articles, installation instructions for equipment, etc. Thanks.
commodore
Site Admin

Post by commodore »

This message got forwarded to me, so I posted it here on behalf of Lou ---

Hi all . . . I am Lou Giansante, the owner of Hill #52, Mark 1 telstar that has been under refit for more years than I can remember. Actually, I have just returned to the refit after many years and just discovered this website. I was active for a time on the old Telstar owner's association and helped distribute their newsletter in North America while Joe Siudzinski was galavanting all over the souther pacific. If you're in the assn Joe - hi.

I am in possession of a file drawer full of old Telstar reference material. I have my boat's paperwork that I discovered when I tracked down the original owner of my boat, including original brochures. At least two of these have been posted on the old Telstar webiste that was maintained by Mike Millerchip and Joe Siudzinski.

Here is one: http://home.earthlink.net/~smercc/c_brochure.htm and here is the other: http://home.earthlink.net/~smercc/bw_brochure.htm.

I also have all of the old newsletters that were produced on a quarterly or semi-annual basis over the years. They contain a wealth of information about the old boats, such as devices that were created by the owners to step the mast or raise the amas. There are a lot of pictures of modifications, such as dodgers and the like.

I have copies of a couple of videos from Joe and others about work being done on their boats.

I would be happy to help get this information to you but given the constraints on my time these days, I can only devote a limited amount of time to the project. Until I can scan and upload my material, I will be happy to post any material on a particular topic (like mast raising) that is of interest to 26 or 8m owners. For instance, I have constructed a fairly foolproof ama rasing device from simple Unistrut pieces that i secured at a scrap steelyard.

Anyway, let me know how I can help. I am happy to do what i can.

Lou Giansante
Pat Ross

Post by Pat Ross »

Lou,

I am interested in getting copies of the Telstar information you mentioned. I have tried to copy the brochures on the old website but unfortunately the quality is so poor I cannot read them. Please contact me.

Regards,

Pat Ross
pat@multihulldynamics.com
luigisante

Post by luigisante »

Hi Pat:

I looked through my old Telstar folder and came up with an original 8 meter brochure. I am sending you a pm with the scanned brochure in PDF.

If you send me an address by pm, I will mail you my original copy of Joe Siudzinski's informative video. Please make a copy and send the original back to me. I would make you a copy, but I don't have a vhs recorder anymore. Joe had an 8 meter. He demonstrates his ama raising system and, I think, his mast raising system as well. It's a wealth of information for 8 meter owners.

Your picture of the 8 meter on the trailer reminds me of when my boat has just come up from Texas on its trailer. It was in terrible condition.

http://home.earthlink.net/~smercc/trail2.htm

I have built my ama raising system from 3 - 10' scrap pieces with a hand winch. It works great.

Hope this helps. As I go through the old newsletters, I'll let you know what else I find.

Lou
Ron

Post by Ron »

Lou -

Do me a favor. Get any copies of any worthwhile 26 or 8M documents to me so I can get them on the web site. Lets make this a depository for anything ever published about any of the Telstars. We're both in NJ, so we can probably get together one day to do it. How about a ride on my boat? It's docked in Toms River (on Barnegat Bay) - probably not all that far from you in south Jersey. I've got 4 sails (screecher and spinnaker) to play with and we can have some fun. Any day of the week is OK (an advantage of being retired).
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
luigisante

Post by luigisante »

Great Idea. I have some stuff already pulled and will go through my other archives to see what we have.

I live in Medford. You're boat is probably 30 minutes from my house up Route 70 and 72. I would love to get together and go out on your boat. I'll pm my contact information.

Lou Giansante
Ron

Post by Ron »

Lou fed-ex'ed me a bunch of documentation on the 26, 8M and 35. I'll start scanning this stuff over the next few days. Some of it may not scan that well - it's hand written notes and/or barely legible. Some may not be that valuable either.
Ron Marcuse
Ron

Post by Ron »

The first few of Lou's documents are now on google.doc, with the link in the member section. More to follow.
Ron Marcuse
luigisante

Post by luigisante »

Nice job with the reference material Ron. It scanned much better than I though it would. I just noticed on the original 8 meter brochure that Tony introduced the marina version which appears to by the prototype of the T28.

When I get back, I'll put together the project photos that I have found and organize them for scanning. Nice job.

Still in Orlando, attending my wife's family reunion - I am the token yankee and the token I-talian, so I have to stay for the duration.

Lou
petrel

Post by petrel »

Folks,

Please read my post in "Old Association Newsletters" regarding 26 and 8M reference material. It is possible that have some info that Joe and Lou do not have.

Hello Lou and Joe. Great to make contact again.

Geoffrey

Edit: The Joe I was referring to is Joe Suidzinski.
2nd Edit: Whoops, my Telstar is an 8T. I have changed my signature accordingly