New Owner - Hull #385

Talking about the boats in general, that don't fit in the other categories.
seicam

New Owner - Hull #385

Post by seicam »

HI Everyone,
Just wanted to let you folks know that after long deliberation I finally made a leap and ordered the Telstar. It's going to be #385 coming up in July. Can't wait :-)

Thanks everyone on this forum who helped me make the decision. I am looking forward to more discussions :-)

Cheers,
Maciek
Dan

New Owner - Hull #385

Post by Dan »

Congratulations. What are you going to be naming her? Where will you be sailing her?
seicam

New Owner - Hull #385

Post by seicam »

Thanks. No decision on the name yet, still working on that. We will be sailing in general Puget Sound area, most likely both on lakes and on salt water.

Thanks,
Maciek
Ron

New Owner - Hull #385

Post by Ron »

I remember that you were thinking about the 20 vs 50 hp motors. Considering where you sail, I imagine that you sprung for the extra 30 ponies. The 50 could be a better choice in areas with higher currents. That's what you were thinking several months ago as well.

Last time we talked about this, no one with a 50 had experimented with different props yet. The standard prop on the 20 was wrong for this application, so I imagine that the 50 hp motor could be happier with something else as well. Forgot the exact numbers but the 20 came with something like a 4 blade 9 1/4 x 10 pitch prop. I wound up with a 10x7 4 blade and Dan with something similar in pitch but with 3 blades. Both easily are better suited to the Honda as mounted on a Telstar. I recall that Dan couldn't even get the rpm over about 4,000 rpm with the stock 10 pitch prop. Honda used to sell a 10x7 5/8 prop for the 20 but it seems to be gone now. I'm not sure I'd even want to spend that much (about $200?) for an extra 5/8 inch of pitch. The Solas 10x7 cost me around $65 or so. Solas also makes that Honda prop too, but then Honda bumps the price up.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Dan

New Owner - Hull #385

Post by Dan »

Ron’s point about getting the prop pitch right is key. I played with about four different props before settling on the 9.5 x 7.5 composite prop I’m currently using. You’ll probably have to experiment a bit to get the pitch and diameter right for your boat too. With the current prop I have, I can get about 7.5 knots WOT, at 5600 RPM and can cruise pretty comfortably at 6 knots at 2/3 throttle or so.
rorr1203

New Owner - Hull #385

Post by rorr1203 »

Welcome fellow soon to be owner. Mine is Hull 382 scheduled to be delivered in a couple of weeks. Just today Will sent a couple of pictures of the almost completed interior and the outrigger hulls and decks as they were getting ready to bond them.

What are you currently sailing or were you sailing before you decided on the Telstar?
gary green

New Owner - Hull #385

Post by gary green »

Hi Bob,

Congratulations on your selection fo the Telstar and welcome to the family. My hull is 311 and I would be very interested to see any pictures that you might have on Hull #382. I've been constantly upgrading my boat and now have completed some walls to enlarge the head a little and create a more private area especially after I install a shower. There have been subtle improvements made on the boat since my purchase so any interior or exterior pictures would be of great interest.

gary g.
Dan

New Owner - Hull #385

Post by Dan »

Gary—

I'd love to see what you've done with the head... do you have photos and a written description of the work posted anywhere? If not, can you write something up for the members only projects section. :)
gary green wrote:Hi Bob,

Congratulations on your selection fo the Telstar and welcome to the family. My hull is 311 and I would be very interested to see any pictures that you might have on Hull #382. I've been constantly upgrading my boat and now have completed some walls to enlarge the head a little and create a more private area especially after I install a shower. There have been subtle improvements made on the boat since my purchase so any interior or exterior pictures would be of great interest.

gary g.
rorr1203

New Owner - Hull #385

Post by rorr1203 »

gary green wrote:Hi Bob,

... I would be very interested to see any pictures that you might have on Hull #382. I've been constantly upgrading my boat and now have completed some walls to enlarge the head a little and create a more private area especially after I install a shower. There have been subtle improvements made on the boat since my purchase so any interior or exterior pictures would be of great interest.

gary g.

Gary, I’d be happy to send you some shots when I get the boat. Let me know if you want anything specific or close up.
gary green

New Owner - Hull #385

Post by gary green »

Thanks Dan and Bob for your relies. I am in the process of finishing the second wall that is in front of the mast support. I will probably not get to the door or drain, if I can go sailing. I will take pictures of some of the stuff I've done to date and post when I get a chance. I wish I had more time!!!

gary g.