what engine

Talking about the boats in general, that don't fit in the other categories.
barry smith

what engine

Post by barry smith »

Hi all, I have just purchased a mk 1 telstar 1976 i beleive. I need to buy a new outboard to fit in the engine well can anyone advise on the biggest i can install make and model. many thanks barry
Doncs

Re: what engine

Post by Doncs »

Well I’ve had my Telstar for ten or so years I have a Yamaha 25 on and it pushes the weight limit a bit...no issues so far.
To my knowledge the largest engine you can apply is a Honda 50. That again is a Weight issue as that was old advice( 2005).
Originally I had a Honda 20 that went the way of all things... the 25 moves me along at 6-7 knots not full throttle..
Good luck..Don
Ron

Post by Ron »

You're talking about 2 different boats - A 26 foot Mark I and the newer Telstar 28. The 28 was designed for 20 to 50 HP, although the 50 could be a little too much weight for it.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Hull52

Post by Hull52 »

Congratulations Barry,

The old 26s used smaller outboards. Mostly 9.9 hp HO engines. Most common were the Yamaha and Honda.

BTW, where's the boat located? I have a 26' Mark I that I've been rebuilding forever.

Lou
blueheron

Post by blueheron »

See my comments to “Outboard and insurance” post.

One thing I would like to add is keep your boat as light as you can if you want your boat to sail well. A large motor is always a trade off. My 8 M was built very light partly because there was a shortage of resin in the UK when it was built. And partly because I intentionally did not overload it. I could literally sail rings around my friends 54 foot monohull.

Good luck