New Member, buyer NZ. Why so much weight change

Talking about the boats in general, that don't fit in the other categories.
Sealander

New Member, buyer NZ. Why so much weight change

Post by Sealander »

Hi all, Been devouring all the info on T2s as i have my heart set on one. What I cant understand is how Tony got the weight so wrong. Lightship was meant to be 3000+LB and all the adverts point to this. With this form of building variation should be minimal. Everybody comments on how they are all 1400 Lbs over plus the trailer being 1000 Lbs over specs. I am retired and in NZ. Towing 5000 lbs is easy but 6800 to 7000 changes the game given where we want to launch. I have sailed and motor-homed for many years including Macgregor 26 plus was agent for Windrider trimarans. Would love to do it all in one on our lakes and sounds. Is it still feasible for a 64 year old by yourself (lost wife last year) Got a bucket list to fill. Any advice, or leads on boats gratefully received.
wooden

Re: New Member, buyer NZ. Why so much weight change

Post by wooden »

I am in my 60s and I feel very comfortable single-handing the Telstar. I have made a few minor modifications to help me raise and lower the main from the cockpit and manage most everything without having to move around the boat too much. It is a very safe and easy boat to manage by yourself. There is nothing more enjoyable than flying by mono-hulls and have them see an old guy all by himself pulling the strings. Go for it.
Steve & Mittie Wooden
Bayou Vista TX (Galveston)
"Gnarly's Poop Deck" Hull #340
Sealander

Post by Sealander »

Thanks for the advice Steve.
Ron

Post by Ron »

I'm 74 and can still sail Tri-Power by myself. Even with "crew" aboard, they mostly just sit an watch. Don't trust anyone. Rigging would probably be more of challenge now, but the boat is either sitting unfolded in the water or folded up on my lift out of the water - mast up. It hasn't seen the trailer or lowered mast in at least 6 years. It's a lot of work to do this stuff, but still easier than just about any other trailer sail boat this size. I've had others which took 2 or 3 hours with 3 guys working.

As far as advertised weight - just about every builder gets these numbers wrong, and it's always on the low side. I had a 40+ foot mono-hull and that one was off by over 4,000 pounds. Most of them calculate the displacement using the software that designs them - and never actually weigh them. They blew the trailer weight by not adding the 1,000 or so pounds of all the stuff Tony put on the trailer to hold the folded boat. These galvanized supports and cradles are heavy.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"