New Owner - soon

Talking about the boats in general, that don't fit in the other categories.
rorr1203

New Owner - soon

Post by rorr1203 »

Hello All, Bob Orr here - soon to be owner of a Telstar Hull #382. Name “@ Last”. Scheduled to be delivered mid June.

Home port will be Shady Side, MD I’ll be sailing the Chesapeake Bay out of the West River (12 miles by boat south of Annapolis).

I’ve been planning this purchase for over 18 months. I had to sell my power boat first - both for the cash to help in the purchase and to vacate the lift where I will be keeping the Telstar. I had it all worked out and everything was set to go. I even had a contract in hand for Hull #365. My timing was awful. As my misfortune would have it I put the “power” boat up for sale just as gas prices were spiking over $4 and of course that was followed by the economic downturn. Well, now that's all behind me. The power boat sold the end of March and here I am a couple of weeks away from delivery.

I look forward to exchanging posts and someday hopefully meeting and sailing with some of you.
andrewm

New Owner - soon

Post by andrewm »

Hi Bob, I thought you should know that #365 went to a good home and I should thank you for enabling its prompt delivery!
I'm sure you will enjoy @last even more now.

andrew
Triphoon #365
Miami
Ron

New Owner - soon

Post by Ron »

Good luck, Bob. Welcome (almost) to the owners side of the association.

What are you doing to modify your existing lift? I remember that I sent you some photo's of mine.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
rorr1203

New Owner - soon

Post by rorr1203 »

Ron, Modifying my lifts looks to be easier than yours (I don’t have to account for dip in the I-beam for the keel). I’m working with McCarters (the welding shop that puts the trailers together for Performance) to have the bunks welded to plates much like you had done.

I did have a question for you about your lift – do you remember how high you set the ama supports?
Ron

New Owner - soon

Post by Ron »

Bob -

I expect to always (???) have a sailboat so I wanted the dropped down cradles to support a keel. With it's 14,000 pound capacity and 14 foot wide cradles, it will lift anything up to around 36 feet.

As far as the ama supports, I used adjustable jacks (or pads, depending on who you speak to) to support them. Mine have set bolts that you tighten on the shaft when you get the height and angle you want. That means vertical in the case of the Telstar ama's. The pads float a drop on top of this shaft, to adjust to the angle needed. They mount on the cradles or any other cross beam you may have. Similar to the jack stands you see at a marina to support the sides of a sailboat when it's weight is on blocks under the keel. Remember that you have to adjust these 4 ama pads to barely support the ama's. You want the weight on the two big curved bunks supporting the main hull. Same principle as the trailer. You may have to get wet to set the height exactly right, and you must remember exactly where the boat is supposed to be every time you lift it. In my case the cross beam lines up under the "2" on the Telstar 28 logo. Same as the trailer.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"