How easy is the mast raising really..

Talking about the boats in general, that don't fit in the other categories.
PropellerHead

How easy is the mast raising really..

Post by PropellerHead »

I've read the literature and watched a few videos of people stepping the mast on a Telstar 28 and it looks allot easier than my Hunter 23.5. It occurred to me though that the videos probably don't show everything. Some of the things that have to do on my boat that I don't see anyone dealing with on those Telstar videos:

I never see any prep work before someone starts cranking on the winch. On the 23.5, there's a fair bit of hardware that I have to move around (mast raising poll, brindle wires to keep the mast centered, block and tackle that actually raise the mast, etc). None of this on the Telstar?

The foil on my CDI furler is a PVC extrusion that is fairly flexible. I have to fuss with it through the whole procedure to keep it in place and to prevent stressing the forestay pin. On the Telstar, I never see anyone touching the furler until the mast is almost up. Is there really no prep work with the furler?

I've learned to stop often and recheck the turn buckles on the shrouds because the don't always come up strait which will bend them. Does the Telstar have some system for keeping the turnbuckles in place?

I never see anyone pinning the forestay. On my boat, this is a pain because there's no quick release on the fore stay so the mast raising hardware has to really pull hard on the mast to get that pin in. How is that handled on the Telstar?

I'm assuming that someone has to still go into the cabin and retrieve the boom (with the main attached?) and wrestle it back onto the mast. Then you have the sail luff into the track right? No one shows that part.

Lastly, retrieving my boat is PITA. I back in until the truck tires are just short of the water and there's still a fair bit of cranking. Then, when I pull the boat out, it rolls back on the trailer and the bow comes up a foot short of the bow stop. I have to crank it some more once the boat is level to get it all the up the trailer. Surely the Telstar is easier than this...

I hope it's not bad edicate to post such a long winded topic on my first try...
Mangodoc

Re: How easy is the mast raising really..

Post by Mangodoc »

For almost a year I kept my boat on the trailer a half mile from the launch for $25/month and raised the mast every time I launched, so I’ve done it a few times. The Hunter is probably harder to raise, lower, launch and retrieve than the Telstar, but there’s a lot more than the videos suggest to doing it. Some points:

There’s very little to fiddle with in the actual mast raising and lowering process. Securing the headstay is probably the most tedious task because there isn’t a quick latch/release mechanism and you’re hanging over the pulpit to secure it. Plus, to get the masthead far enough forward you have to use a halyard and winch in addition to the mast raising line. But all in all, the actual raising and lowering are a breeze. And although the boom CAN stay attached with the main hanked on, I don’t think anyone actually recommends it. I don’t since it adds a lot of wear and tear on the main and generally complicates the whole process. Since the boom/main rig is fairly heavy and bulky, I used the topping lift and sailpack blocks to do most of the heavy lifting and lowering to/from the cabin. Finally, the most tedious task to raising and lowering for me isn’t peculiar to the Telstar- dropping/raising the dodger and Bimini. All told, I consider the process of launch, anchor, deploy amas, raise mast, attach boom and main, raise dodger, Bimini and asymmetric spinnaker and being ready to go about a four hour process, giving myself enough fudge factor for the inevitable SNAFUs that plague mechanical systems. Reversing the process is about the same.

Finally, I would be remiss not to mention my greatest concern about the Telstar if you plan to tow, launch and recover her, and that is that the trailer is not rated for the weight of the actual boat. I have several posts detailing my misadventures in this regard, but I will reiterate my recommendation that you beef up the trailer to handle the actual weight of your boat.

All told, she is a great, fun, flexible boat that sails well and I enjoy immensely. Despite the few aggravations, I wouldn’t have another boat for what I want as a sailor.

Fair winds and smooth sail8ng.
Mangodoc
s.v. Trinity
escape

Post by escape »

I got my son to film as I was loewring the mast. Have been doing it at least 8 times a season. Never had someone to film while hoisting.
sadly I had to sell my boat this autumn.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipP ... LryUeydAsD
Michel
Chenoa, #377
Cruissser

Post by Cruissser »

I understand your concern. I figured it would be an all afternoon deal to raise the mast and get the boat set up......but its really not. I do have a video on youtube, probably one that you watched showing raising and lowering the mast when I sailed the boat before I purchased it. We raised and lowered the mast several times to make sure I got a good understanding how it works. Its really a simple system once you get your head wrapped around it...but it took me a while to do that.

There are several things that have to be done, but nothing a little common sense wouldn't cover. The biggest suggestion I can make is not to be in a hurry and not be afraid to stop and check things over it something doesn't seem right. There is a risk of getting a line hung up if you are not on top of the game, but I have never had any issues aside from moving a cable or line to correct the situation.

The forestay is not to tough, but its the hardest part of the operation. I like Mangodoc's suggestion of using the halyard, but have never tried that yet. I loosen the backstay and usually the forestay is attached in short order, then I tighten the backstay. I read somewhere one of the issues with the Telstar is creating to much down pressure on the post. In fact if you attach the Screecher the book says to only hand tighten and not use the winch. Thats one of the reasons I make sure the backstay is nice and loose before I attach the forestay.

Last January I hurt my back bad enough I needed to get off the boat and had to lower the mast with my wife's help. I figured it would take at least 5 hours to do this in my condition. Even moving very slowly we had the mast down in around half an hour and had it all secured enough to motor an hour after that. I have never rushed this operation because of the risks associated, but the very first time I set it up on my own the boat was ready to sail in around 2 hours.....maybe even less. I can definitely see someone with experience doing this in far less than an hour.

Make a check list and follow it closely. You will do just fine!!
Ron

Post by Ron »

"Lastly, retrieving my boat is PITA. I back in until the truck tires are just short of the water and there's still a fair bit of cranking. Then, when I pull the boat out, it rolls back on the trailer and the bow comes up a foot short of the bow stop. I have to crank it some more once the boat is level to get it all the up the trailer. Surely the Telstar is easier than this... "

There's a trick to do this right. First, put some tape where the bow support touches the trailer and another about 1 foot in front of it. Before you retrieve the boat, move the support up to the first mark. Then back the trailer into the water and push or pull the boat so the bow is touching the rollers. Then slowly pull the boat out. Someone should check that the two "U" shaped stainless supports at the back of the main hull are going to hit about the middle of the two small bunks. If it's not hitting them, push it back into the water enough and adjust so that they will hit. Then slowly pull the boat all of the way out. Loosen up the bolts holding the bow support and move it back so that the roller is touching the bow.

You've got to do this because the angle of the boat in the water is different from the angle of the trailer, and the bow will move back about 1 foot when you pull the trailer out.

Ron
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Cruissser

Post by Cruissser »

Thanks Ron, my boat has a few battle scars from the previous owner not sliding the bow supports forward. I am hoping to design something that will work easier. It would involve a spacer that would fit on top of the tube that you would remove to give you more clearance when loading and unloading.

Just another note on the mast raising. A couple days ago I raised the mast and it took me twice as long as it should have because I had to lower it to straighten out my halyards.

I raised it in 20 knot winds, but made sure I had the bow pointed into the wind. I was a bit leery with that strong of winds, but had no issues at all. It really is an amazing system.