New owner

Talking about the boats in general, that don't fit in the other categories.
agprice22

New owner

Post by agprice22 »

Hi. Although it looks like this board is dead, I thought I would introduce myself. I am Andrew. I live in upstate New York. I am restoring a Telstar 28 I purchased last Fall. The boat is nearly done. We have made many repairs, reinforcements, and improvements to the boat. We are planning to sail her in a few weeks on Seneca Lake.
The boat had terrible gelcoat cracking when we purchased her, so I have ground out all the cracks, filled them, and ground off the non-skid. I then filled and faired the boat, reinforced the fore and aft decks on the outriggers and outer side decks on the salon top with biaxial mat.
After refinishing her, I sprayed her with Awlgrip primers and topcoat. She is gray on top and blue on bottom. Oh, I reinforced most of the hatches too! They were mostly cracked. I think someone very large owned this boat before me. Someone named Big Dave as far as I can tell.
The story is she was sailed in Norfolk, then sold and sailed in the Keys, then sold and sailed in Chataqua, NY, where I bought her. She sailed nicely on a trial before we bought her, but she was a mess!
Anyway, I think she is hull 0304 from May 2005 if that makes sense. Her ID is PCIT0304J505.
If anyone knows more about the boat, I would appreciate knowing about it. The original owner seemed very taken with the boat, performing many upgrades to the interior and rigging. However, he made some choices I do not prefer. He replaced the furlex with a jib boom which did not provide much power, so I am restoring the furler. He removed the bowsprit and converted it into a radar tower, and I will be reinstalling the bowsprit and a screecher next season.
Anyway, hello. Feel free to reach out with your experiences. If there are any Telstar 28 owners out there!
StephenVisio

Re: New owner

Post by StephenVisio »

I am a new owner as well. We are getting repairs made and hope to be on the water in a week or two. Glad to see some activity, We love our Telstar 28 Halcyon.
escape

Post by escape »

Hi, welcome to the new owners. I agree this site is not very active but there is a lot of very useful information here. Yes the gelcoat is an issue but for the price it is a great boat. I have mine since 2011 and I am mostly exploring in-land lakes, could not do that with my previous boats. Looking forwards taking it to the Keys or even the Bahamas. It would be nice to see pictures of your boat.

Best.
Michel
Chenoa, #377
Mangodoc

Post by Mangodoc »

I will be buying next week and have been haunting this site for a few months. Hopefully some new blood will reinvigorate the board since I have lots of questions and need lots of advice.

@chenoa- j'aime votre video en YouTube!
Mangodoc
s.v. Trinity
agprice22

Post by agprice22 »

Thanks, guys. She is an interesting boat. I am excited to see how she performs! I have lots of pictures of our restoration, and I can provide lots of info on things to check when buying. The restoration began last November. I put her in a warehouse over the Winter and took a week off each month to complete it. The warehouse rental ended at the end of March, and poor weather slowed us in April, May, and June. We are re-rigging her now for a hopeful launch of next weekend! The work will continue at the dock for some items, and it will continue next Fall and Winter to add more coats of paint and clearcoat.
I will post some pictures later.
wooden

Post by wooden »

There is not a great deal of current activity on this site, but it continues to be very useful. My wife and I have owned our boat for about 5 years now, and it has been a joy. Of course, like any piece of equipment, it takes constant maintenance. My attention is typically on the rudder and the motor. I have replaced the keel after it broke off on our way to the Dry Tortugas. That was an interesting trip. But I will report that the boat does just fine without a keel (mostly). You will enjoy the boat. It is well designed (except for the keel).

As far as this site is concerned, it is monitored reasonably well by those who sail our Telstars regularly. If you don't find an answer to your question by searching the database, post the questions and you will likely get an answer. Owners are a great group of people.
Steve & Mittie Wooden
Bayou Vista TX (Galveston)
"Gnarly's Poop Deck" Hull #340
Aimel

Post by Aimel »

Hello,
I am buying the Telstar in Ottawa and will take delivery in mid july.
If things goes well I will be in Quebec City for the tall ships festival at the end of July.

To escape, I am in Quebec too, La Baie, Saguenay. Hope to see you on the water some day.

Rgds
agprice22

Post by agprice22 »

If any of you get to Seneca Lake, you can look me up. You won't need the slip number! What are the chances there would be another T2? Haa!
We are on target for launch this Sunday! It has been a grueling 8 month restoration. I mounted the outboard pod today. We are barrier coating and painting the centerboard and bottom(s) Friday, and we are erecting the mast and installing the genoa Saturday.

Surprisingly, my centerboard had only a thin coat of grey epoxy on it and then several thick coats of bottom paint. Maybe the surprising part is that it is wood and in great shape! The centerboard line was in excellent shape. I replaced the opaque, glued and screwed, epoxy coated, wood cover with a 1/4" clear plexiglass cover. Anyway, it deploys and retracts fine. Same with the rudder. The rudder seems a little sloppy, but I will make some delrin spacers and tighten it up after this season.
Things that make me go hmmm...

Thanks,
Andrew
triumph

Post by triumph »

Welcome to the association! Not a lot of traffic here, but good info. I check in about once a month to see what is new. We have enjoyed Triumph (#317) for three years now. Moved her from New Jersey all the way to Washington with a stopover in Illinois. Same kind of issues. I expect almost all of our boats are not quite original. Would be happy to answer questions if I can.

Steve
Triumph #317
Port Ludlow Wa.
ggreen

Post by ggreen »

Welcome to all newcomers. I am still the original owner of CatNip 311 which I purchased back in 2005. As one owner said, its a nicely designed and engineered boat but the manufacturing execution and quality leaves a lot to be desired. Every year its another new project to address another concern or to make the boat more user friendly for me. I still get heads turning when I raise the mast and the boat sails really well. I still enjoy the boat immensely.

gary g