Sea trial and survey advice

Talking about the boats in general, that don't fit in the other categories.
Mangodoc

Sea trial and survey advice

Post by Mangodoc »

I have an accepted offer on a 2006 T2 with plans to survey and sea trial the first week of June. Any advice about particular areas that need special attention? The surveyor is already concerned about gel coat cracks around the struts and chaffing on the mast. Any help would be appreciated.
Mangodoc
s.v. Trinity
Bill

Re: Sea trial and survey advice

Post by Bill »

If there is a crack down the center line of the centerboard's upper end, which can be seen from underneath when the board is up, I believe the two board halves are on their way to separating at the top, and the board will break off along where it exits the bottom of the boat. This assumes the fiberglass board with foam core, some were made of plywood. Not a deal breaker, it is possible to have a replacement board made for around $2,500, as I recall. I bought a T2 with a broken board, and made one myself. Interesting project, but takes some time, care, and over $500 materials.

There is some scraping evident on my mast, I don't like it, I wonder what a surveyor would make of it. I put some tubing on the "C" frame cross piece, where it rubs the mast, so I don't think there will be further damage.

Look for bending of the "A" frame, and the fittings at it's lower end. Fixable, but would need to be fixed before use, in my opinion.

On mine, the wire from the wind instruments is corroded from salt water exposure at the lower end, wind speed inoperative, guess I'll need to find out how to run a new wire.

The engine mount core was wet and somewhat rotten on mine, I suspect this is often the case and not noticed, as the skins are pretty strong. I dug out rot through the mounting holes (with outboard removed) and filled with epoxy, without otherwise messing with the skins. I feel it is pretty strong now, but I'm only supporting a 20 hp motor. Only noticed this because I removed the 50 hp to put on a lighter motor. The lower unit on the 50 hp had water in it where there is supposed to be heavy gear oil, and it is frozen, would be around $1,300 for a replacement. (anybody want to buy the power head?)

Sort of obvious, but are the adjusting bolts for the ama supports frozen, and have any of the support pads gone missing? I had to make one.