Coming About

Talking about the boats in general, that don't fit in the other categories.
poullyd

Coming About

Post by poullyd »

Would extending the aft end of the rudder blade 6 to 8 inches improve the boats ability to come about and not get caught in irons?

Trying to improve the boats ability to come about.

Paul
escape

Re: Coming About

Post by escape »

I do not think you need to modify the rudder, chances are it will stall the boat even more. Here on the river with a 2 kn current I have to tack very very often so I have had a lot of practice... It took me quite some time to learn how to do it. With a lot of wind it is easier. For sure it will never be like a mono hull.

When taking you must continue turning to at least 45deg to 60deg and set the genoa as fast as you can before going back upwind. If you stay to close to the wind the boat will stall. With a lot of wind and the Genoa partly furl it can be done quite fast.

In light winds you have to ease the main sail before taking. In any case, if you stall, you must ease the main sail and try to set the Genoa, you will probably make a few weird turns but eventually the Genoa will be set and you will pick up speed again.

Also the center board must be completely down.
Michel
Chenoa, #377
poullyd

Post by poullyd »

Thank you very much for your reply. I appreciate it.

Paul
Ron

Post by Ron »

A larger rudder will definitely not help, and probably make it worse. I nearly always keep the genoa set firmly on the leeward side of the boat and not let it go until the boat is significantly more than halfway thru the turn. The back-winded sail will quickly push the bow thru the wind, and then the sail will fly around the now leeward shroud and mast. If you're quick with your hands you can get the sail set and trimmed on the new tack without the need of the winch handle. I put slightly oversize covers (split plastic tubing) on the shrouds so the sail will easily roll around them, and there is a roller near the lower spreader.

I don't worry about the main until I'm more than half-way thru the tack. The only real problem I have with the main is in very light air - the kevlar sail is somewhat bigger than the stock one (larger roach) and I sometimes have to loosen the sheet and even the back stay to get it to slide around the back stay. Note that the main is almost always trimmed with the traveler. Mine is line controlled - no messy pin stops to play with.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
vancouver

Post by vancouver »

The rudder and center board stall quite easily. It is important to carve the turn as opposed to simply throwing the rudder over as you would with a mono. If you start to lose the turn, center the rudder. It is stalled and if you push it farther, it will simply stall more. It also tends to sails backward and you need to reverse the rudder. You can get a three point turn tack!