Help me warm my feet!

Talking about the boats in general, that don't fit in the other categories.
array

Help me warm my feet!

Post by array »

Hello All!
I'm new on your forum, but not new to trimaran searching and dreaming. Thanks all for having me! I've never owned a sail boat, and every year I vow I'm going to purchase...and then I let the season fly by (just like it's going to again if I don't take some fast action). I'm in the Michigan area and conversing with a great lakes broker about a used 28. (I'm not sure what the nautical term is for a salesperson who's sure he knows it all and only likes to hear himself talk)? Anyway, I'm very wanting to commit on this boat and closer than I've ever been. But I have cold feet. I've spent a lot of time and very hard work saving enough money to buy. I don't want to make a mistake so I've tried research as much as possible for answers (before asking others) but haven't found them all by a long shot. So, I've limited my questions currently to three: (1) When I look at pics and video of the ama folding system it seems to me the deck clearance at the beams appears much less than other tri's. Is this so? Is it a problem (for lake sailing)? (2) There are numerous threads of people having leakage problems from stanchion wells. Is this a wide spread problem? What is done to correct this? (3) If you were buying a used Telestar, what big red warning flags would you be most looking for? I much appreciate your any reply, any suggestions and I value your help! Thanks! Hope to join you with my own 28!
wooden

Re: Help me warm my feet!

Post by wooden »

I have owned my Telstar 28 for 4 years now. She has given me a great deal of pleasure. We sail in the Florida Keys and I have had no difficulties with her. The outriggers have performed well, the mechanisms function as expected, the leakage issue has not been a problem for me. With proper maintenance and management I believe you will find this a very enjoyable and easy to care for boat. There are a few idiosyncratic issues that take some getting used to, but nothing I can't live with.
Steve & Mittie Wooden
Bayou Vista TX (Galveston)
"Gnarly's Poop Deck" Hull #340
onremlop

Re: Help me warm my feet!

Post by onremlop »

(1) When I look at pics and video of the ama folding system it seems to me the deck clearance at the beams appears much less than other tri's. Is this so? Is it a problem (for lake sailing)? (2) There are numerous threads of people having leakage problems from stanchion wells. Is this a wide spread problem? What is done to correct this? (3) If you were buying a used Telestar, what big red warning flags would you be most looking for? I much appreciate your any reply, any suggestions and I value your help! Thanks! Hope to join you with my own 28!

I thought I would put in my 3 cents (inflation, you know). The tramps on the Telstar are lower than other tris. You have to step down onto them, rather than having them attached to the top of the ama. To me, stepping down makes greater sense and is more practical. If something falls off the boat like a winch, it won't bounce into the water. Plus, if you are fishing or scuba diving, it is much more practical.

I have a 2007 and don't have a leakage problem, but boats do get those. That is something that can be fixed and I don't think it should be a deal breaker.

Big red flags would be delamination in some of them. If you feel hesitant, spend the bucks and have a good marine surveyor check it out to make sure it is worth what you spend. There are only a few of these on the planet and they are hard to come by. Too bad they quit making them since they are easy, safe and practical boats to sail. They have speed to get you out of a jam and if there is bad weather,i.e. hurricanes, you can fairly quickly haul them inland.