Polyurethane foam

Talking about the boats in general, that don't fit in the other categories.
maxim382

Polyurethane foam

Post by maxim382 »

I own a 2007 Telstar, Last year i took it to Bahamas. Was busy with tons of upgrades including: water maker, entrance waterproof door, shower, water heater, toilet curtain was replaced with the double hinged door, refrigerator installed, replaced cushions, overhaul on electronic etc.
I wanted to see what your thoughts in regards to filling the outriggers with the closed cell polyurethane foam at least partially. It will make in theory Telstar unsinkable, and will solve the problem of water accumulating in the outrigger space.

http://www.aeromarineproducts.com/boat- ... gQodyawAtg

Thanks,
Max
wingman71

Re: Polyurethane foam

Post by wingman71 »

Does not sound as if you mind adding weight. That would be a big concern of mine. Also, added weight would make getting the amas in and out harder, possibly. Also, it would decrease buoyancy over empty amas, though it would make them stronger. Not sure how that stops water from getting into the amas, unless you completely fill them. It certainly would make getting water out much harder!

Of course, I race, so added weight is to be avoided.

Tony Smith put an electric bilge pump in one of his cockpit compartments and ran a hose to each ama so that he could easily pump them out.

I once had a leak at the speedo plug and the main hull started to fill with water. It stopped at the bunk cushions, due to the amas keeping the main hull afloat. I think that you you'll have to have both the main hull and one do the amas holed to sink.

Johnv
maxim382

Post by maxim382 »

Thanks for the reply.
With double density foam It only adds about 30 lb total in both amas. It will prevent water accumulation, at least in theory, by completely filling the compartment, so no space will remain to be filled. It is 95% closed cell foam so it will float no matter what happens. My plan was to fill it everywhere except around the center hatch, where I was planning to fill only above the waterline and use the rest of the space for storage.
escape

Post by escape »

Interesting idea. Keep us updated on that. It would be nice to see a couple of pictures of your modifications.
I just change the hatch on mine with a Tempress 13-23. I had to enlarge the hole just a bit to fit the new hatch. One ama is completely sealed, the other one is leaking a little bit. I am pretty sure that the caulking on that one was not done properly. I will redo it. I really like the fact that the hatch is hinged so there is less chances to loose the hatch, the cover hatch can be remove easily if needed.
couvert1.jpg
couvert1.jpg (187.41 KiB) Viewed 1338 times
couvert2.jpg
couvert2.jpg (183.17 KiB) Viewed 1338 times
Michel
Chenoa, #377
maxim382

Post by maxim382 »

Here are some of the pictures with the modifications I performed. I elevated the mast support in folded position as you can see by 2 feet this way there is no need to remove the bimini. I live on the water and have 2 fixed bridges to pass, so I rarely use trailer. It is stored on the floating lift.
My completed projects so far
1. New locking waterproof cockpit door( can be seen on the pic)
2. Shower system installed with propane water heater
3. Complete canvas enclosure of the cabin- really liked it , it rains a lot in Florida
4. 2 100 watt solar panels
5.water maker
6. electric toilet
7.New canvas cover for the mainsail
9.double hinged doors instead of curtains installed in head area
10. AIS, new radio, raymarine MFD, satellite weather radio
11. Refrigerator
12.Search light with infrared camera
15.New honda BF50 2015 outboard
16. replaced all hathches
17. elevated the position of the mast while in folded position to eliminate the hassle of taking the bimini down prior to mast folding
I will add more pictures form inside
Attachments
20150418_115016 (1).jpg
20150418_115016 (1).jpg (46.21 KiB) Viewed 1327 times
20150418_115002 (1).jpg
20150418_115002 (1).jpg (42.47 KiB) Viewed 1327 times
20150320_155459.jpg
20150320_155459.jpg (48 KiB) Viewed 1327 times
maxim382

Post by maxim382 »

Getting bottom paint done now
Attachments
20150625_092346.jpg
20150625_092346.jpg (27.97 KiB) Viewed 1327 times
escape

Post by escape »

Cool, do you have a support for the roller furling when the mast is down? I would like to see your door in more details. Can't wait to see the interior. I got a full enclosed made this year, really great indeed.
Michel
Chenoa, #377
maxim382

Post by maxim382 »

It is pretty stable without the support. I had to extend the resting plate and aft support arc aft. It creates enough room for me, I am 5'11:). Also it makes it faster to step and take down the mast.
I am planning to start my new projects as soon as I am done with army deployment.
1. installation of Lewmar V700 windlace
2. filling amas with polyurethane foam
wooden

Post by wooden »

This is pretty impressive stuff. I am in the initial phases of outfitting my Telstar for a great loop trip. I do have a few low fixed bridges to clear and I was not looking forward to traveling with the mast down and in my way. Your modification seems to resolve that problem. Can you provide some specs for the material? How long are the extensions and did you have them made or are they stock material?
In addition, I am interested in how you have configured the solar panels. The weak link in the boat is electrical, and although I would love a fridge, the current system would never handle it. Again, what material for the mounts, where did you get them, and what are the specs on the panels.
One last issue. Is your cockpit door hinged, or do you remove it? And what material did you use? Is it one piece or more?

Thanks for any help you can provide. I am excited to here more about your projects.

Steve Wooden
Steve & Mittie Wooden
Bayou Vista TX (Galveston)
"Gnarly's Poop Deck" Hull #340
maxim382

Post by maxim382 »

Sorry about late reply. I was army deployed for 1 month. Will get home in about 1 week, Ill post more pictures with details at that time. In the nutshell, I used 1 inch pipe to extend the mast support in both places just enough length to clear bimini top.