Single Hand Extending and Retracting Amas

Talking about the boats in general, that don't fit in the other categories.
onremlop

Single Hand Extending and Retracting Amas

Post by onremlop »

The old forum seemed to have some information on extending and retracting amas single handed. Does anyone still have those pictures, set up and any other pertinent info?
ggreen

Re: Single Hand Extending and Retracting Amas

Post by ggreen »

I have attached a couple of pictures of my ama retracting system. The lines are led back to the cockpit and when I need to retract them I put the line around one of the winches and turn them in while motoring back to dock. I hope this helps.

gary g
Attachments
P6060015.JPG
P6060015.JPG (164.89 KiB) Viewed 1636 times
onremlop

Post by onremlop »

That's great. I think I can make that work. If you are single handing it, how do you extend the amas? Do you just release the jammers as you are motoring, then lock them down?
ggreen

Post by ggreen »

Extending the amas is easier than bringing them in. When motoring I release the the lines out and the forward motion helps move the amas out enough that you can finalize their extension by just pulling the outboard line tight.

gary g
onremlop

Post by onremlop »

That's what I thought you would do. I don't do that as I am the APO/ARO (Ama Pusher Outer/Ama Retrieval Officer), while the Admiral works the jammers. We also stop, or put the boat in reverse to help bring in the amas. When you have speed, it makes retrieving them harder
Diver1430

Post by Diver1430 »

I m an early owner back online. But I did the same in 2006 and it helped me considerable as a single hander.