Looking for Telstar Owner in NJ/NY/CT

Talking about the boats in general, that don't fit in the other categories.
juless1

Re: Looking for Telstar Owner in NJ/NY/CT

Post by juless1 »

Ron - Just sent you PM
juless1

Post by juless1 »

trying to PM - not having much success. Sorry all - I was away in NC for parents weekend visiting my son...

For all of you have volunteered to help me - the sail has to be 10/4 - the prospective buyers have bought airline tickets already - stupid...I know....
So shooting for setting the boat up this weekend 9/27 - and will have to find a captain for the test sail as I know Ron is not available.

Waiting to hear back from boat yard - asking them to trailer and launch the boat for me this week...and to keep it at their dock for the week.
Then hopefully - Ron and Lou (and some 18 year old muscle I have asked to help) can rig the boat this Saturday the 27th???

Then will have to get someone to un-rig ...put the mast back down...(I know Ron will be in FL) and will have boat yard haul it back to their lot.

Ron and Lou - if you are still available and willing - does this Saturday 9/27 work?

going to attempt PM again - Ron....i know your phone number was sent to me via PM - but I no longer see that message - can you PM to me again.

THANK YOU ALL - I await your replies
Ron

Post by Ron »

Juless1 (by the way, what's your real name) -

I can make the 27th. Hope the weather can too. We can rig the boat in the water, folded or unfolded. It's just a little easier on the trailer to attach the head stay. With my shoulder, I can't do this anymore by myself if the boat is in the water. This should take around 2 to 3 hours depending on what problems we have.

As far as Oct 4th goes, I can probably sneak away for 3 or 4 hours in the morning or early afternoon. I just can't stay the entire day, and it would be the whole day if we had to start from scratch. Send me the address of the storage yard and the boat yard so I can figure out how long it will take me to get there and then back home.

As far as taking it apart, I may be able to help depending on which day it is. I've got a bunch of things to do before we leave for Punta Gorda.

I'll send you my phone numbers and email address on a PM.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
juless1

Post by juless1 »

just sent a PM - hope it went thru
Hull52

Post by Hull52 »

I'm in for the 27th. I need the location, etc as well. Maybe I won't have to get up with the chickens if we're just rigging. I have a couple of small boxes of handtools that I've been using on the boat. I'll bring them. I don't think I can make the 4th but never say never. Weather looks really good so far. Forecasting is basically voodoo so we'll see as we get to the end of the week. But I am a go.
juless1

Post by juless1 »

Lou - just sent you a PM - please check if you received it.
9/27 launch is 1pm
10/4 test sail is 3pm

thanks
Hull52

Post by Hull52 »

Our Mini-Meet-Up. It was great to meet other Telstar Owners and particularly someone with as much knowledge of the Boat as Ron. Really interesting to see how the boat has evolved. The mast raising mechanism is brilliant. Still, I was happy at how well the Mark 1's cabin space compares with the 28.

The boat was taken from storage yard to a launching ramp. Ron got to work and started extending the amas.

Once the amas were fully extended, they were pumped out, the engine was started and we motored for a short way up Barnegat Bay.

We were motoring to the dock where we had the time to raise the mast at our own pace. The mast and rigging didn't leave a lot of room for passengers. The weather was beautiful, however, and we had a perfect day to move the boat and set it up.

Due to Ron's careful methodology, the mast made it up without incident.

Ron

Post by Ron »

But, in the end (on Monday), we had a problem that stopped us. We couldn't get the head sail to go all of the way up the furler. The various sections of the 4 piece extrusion were starting to separate because of the long term horizontal storage of the extrusion with minimal support. The break closest to the top of the mast had shifted enough to stop the sail from going up the full length of the track. To really fix this would require dropping the mast. Ran out of time.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
juless1

Post by juless1 »

Many thanks to Ron and Lou for coming to my rescue! I am serious - you gentleman helped me so very much you have no idea!
Will keep you posted on the progress getting the sails up - and hopefully - fingers and toes crossed - the test sail on Saturday!!!
Hull52

Post by Hull52 »

Ron wrote:But, in the end (on Monday), we had a problem that stopped us. We couldn't get the head sail to go all of the way up the furler. The various sections of the 4 piece extrusion were starting to separate because of the long term horizontal storage of the extrusion with minimal support. The break closest to the top of the mast had shifted enough to stop the sail from going up the full length of the track. To really fix this would require dropping the mast. Ran out of time.
Sounds like a job for an 18 year old FBI agent wannabe and a boson's chair. I don't envy you having to bring that mast down again.