Looking for Telstar Owner in NJ/NY/CT

Talking about the boats in general, that don't fit in the other categories.
juless1

Looking for Telstar Owner in NJ/NY/CT

Post by juless1 »

Selling our trimaran. My husband recently passed away and I cannot keep it nor sail it on my own. Have an interested buyer, but terms of contract is that the boat be taken for a test sail with me! This is not possible - I have always been the first mate...never the captain. Looking for someone located in the tri-state area (NY/NJ/CT)
Boat is in Brick NJ - heartbroken it has to be sold...but no choice. Of course - will pay all expenses and a fee. There is no set date for this. Just trying to line someone up.
Is there anyone that can assist?!?!?! Boat is on a trailer in a boat yard - mast down. PLEASE HELP! thanking you all in advance
juless1

Re: Looking for Telstar Owner in NJ/NY/CT

Post by juless1 »

Moderator Ron - can you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE assist??? I know you are in NJ and in FL - I am desperate!
Ron

Post by Ron »

I'd like to help if I can. But I can't raise/lower the mast or get the sails on/off by myself anymore (right shoulder torn rotator cuff). If others can help with this heavier physical stuff, I'd be happy to do the rest. Also - we leave for Florida in about 4 weeks.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
juless1

Post by juless1 »

Ron - will get you whatever help you need!!!
can you please message me privately - incredibly grateful
Hull52

Post by Hull52 »

Hey Ron. I'm close by. I live in Medford, NJ. I'm no spring chicken but I could probably act as your left errr right arm. Since my Telstar 26 is very close to being done, I would not mind a cruise on a 28 with someone who knows what you're doing. I've got a decent amount of experience mucking around on boats so I should be of some help. Oh, it should probably be a Saturday too. I can get there early so we can set up and have time to get the buyer out. The boat is not that far from me, I can probably get there in under an hour.

Lou
juless1

Post by juless1 »

Lou!!! that is great!!!

I am soooooo very grateful for assistance - this is so not easy for me

Lou - please message me via email
tentative date for test sail is 10/4
Ron

Post by Ron »

Woops - Problem. Half of my wife's family is flying in on the Oct 4 weekend. Since I haven't seen then in x years, I'll be in trouble if I'm not around. How about the week before - Sept 27/28? The following weekend (10/11) is just as bad - I'll be in Annapolis for 3 or 4 days for the boat show. And we leave for Florida the following week. Looks like it's gotta be before 10/4.

I'd prefer a week day if others are around to help rig and unrig the boat. More options too, especially if the weather doesn't cooperate.

What are our launch options? Travel lift or ramp? With everyone starting to pull their boats, both could be busy for any of the weekends. You may need an appointment for the travel lift option. What is the name of the marina?

I posted this on the forum rather than a PM because we're not yet set on the date. Others may still volunteer.

Lou - the boat's still not finished? How many years has it been?
Ron Marcuse
juless1

Post by juless1 »

will contact buyer and ask them to change - they are flying in from IL.
but before I do.....

the "assistant" you need - is it simply "muscle" ??
if Lou cannot make it - can a strong able bodied fellow with no sailing experience work?

boat would have to be trailered to water (a 1 minute drive) launched and motored to my house ( 15-20 minutes tops) docked..mast raised and sails put on.
then the test sail....then back to dock..sails off...mast down...
motored back to launch site....onto trailer...back to ship yard ( literally a 1 minute drive from water to lot)

do you see this done in 1 day? is that possible?

I can probably have the place that is storing my boat put the boat on and off the trailer into the water.

I know I am asking a lot from perfect strangers - but I am in such a jam!

but so so so so appreciative -

knowing all this - are you still willing to assist -
again - will be more than happy to compensate you for your time.

think of it as good Karma - paying it forward.... :D
Ron

Post by Ron »

A few more questions -

1. When was the boat last launched and sailed? If it was sitting for a while and not properly maintained before storage it might make things more difficult.
2. Do you have a good assortment of tools on board?
3. Do you have a vehicle than can safely pull the trailer and boat towards the water?

It would be easier to rig the boat on the trailer and then launch it at that boat yard. For example - If the swept back shrouds are a drop too tight, someone on the ground could help pull the furler drum down to attach to the bow. Unless you know someone who can walk on water? Also save a lot of time moving it around. The ama's would be extended after that. Do they have a ramp or a travel lift?

Some muscle is needed, and it could be helpful it they knew what they were doing. I've launched mine at least 30 times mostly singlehanded, but that was before I tore my shoulder apart (for the 2nd time). I can easily pull lines but have a lot of trouble lifting things above my waist. If Lou could make Sept 27 or 28 that could work. Someone from Maryland also volunteered. The buyer may also want to help - he'll have to do the exact same things after it's his. It's very easy to screw things up during these procedures.
Ron Marcuse
juless1

Post by juless1 »

Boat was last sailed almost 2 years ago -
It was taken out of the water and winterized and has been there since

battery has been off and stored and I will have to charge it as a surveyor is supposedly coming next week - and I am sure he will want to start engine

can get any tools needed ( I live less than 5 minutes away)

boat yard is not on the water - it is basically a storage yard....the ramp to launch is a minute from the yard
so I guess boat could be driven to the ramp...mast raised and sails done there just prior to launching off ramp???
my husband always just motored and did it all at our dock.

I personally do not have a vehicle - I will either ask storage yard to assist or find someone - the boat yard hauls boats in and out all the time

I hope I have answered all your questions - do not hesitate to let me know if any more info is needed