Looking for Telstar Owner in NJ/NY/CT

Talking about the boats in general, that don't fit in the other categories.
Ron

Re: Looking for Telstar Owner in NJ/NY/CT

Post by Ron »

It look OK, so I guess that we just have to pick a day (before Oct 4), find some volunteers (we have 2 maybe now), and hope the weather god's co-operate. That's one of the reasons why I'd like to include weekdays as well. Much more flexibility. If we get rained out (or 20+ knots) on the 27th/28th we have more alternative days to pick. I wouldn't be comfortable raising the stick and getting the sails on in this kind of wind.

I'll send you a PM with my phone number.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Hull52

Post by Hull52 »

Weekdays are out for me. My schedule won't allow it. 27th would be a go for me. Makes sense to have the buyer there from the start to get used to the process. If we start early enough we should be able to get it done in a day.
scpeters

Post by scpeters »

Juless, Ron, Lou,

I'll raise my hand to volunteer. I am a Telstar 28 dreamer, not a Telstar 28 owner, at least not yet. I have 30+ years of sailing experience and worked in a boatyard for a little while. I have pictures of me when I was 6 standing on the foredeck of a Carl Alberg 35. I guess you could say I learned to sail at the same time I learned to read and write. So - I am happy to be a skilled set of arms and legs to help.

I would appreciate the opportunity to learn some of the specifics of this particular boat, and would be willing to do whatever you all needed. I am also happy to bring coffee and donuts as a token of appreciation. I am so very glad Juless connected with a buyer.

I am available most weekends e.g. 9/27 - 9/28, 10/4 - 10/5, and either 10/11 or 10/12, so however it shakes out with you all is good with me. I cannot send PMs but would be happy to share my email and cellphone directly with you all.

-Steve

Lou - I followed your Mk1 cabin refit - what an impressive project! I think the head liner came out very well and the wood details look beautiful. I can still close my eyes and smell the Gougeon from my boatyard days. Anyway - it inspired me and brought me back. Thank you for sharing your progress!
Hull52

Post by Hull52 »

Ron wrote:Lou - the boat's still not finished? How many years has it been?
Too many to count.
scpeters wrote:Lou - I followed your Mk1 cabin refit - what an impressive project! I think the head liner came out very well and the wood details look beautiful. I can still close my eyes and smell the Gougeon from my boatyard days. Anyway - it inspired me and brought me back. Thank you for sharing your progress!
Thanks. Couldn't tell if anyone was following anymore. I'm trying to get the last of the hardware on before the winter and to fashion an outboard mount so I can launch the boat in the Spring. I'm planning on a christening ceremony for all the nay-sayers who have taken my $10 bets every year that "this will be the year it sees water." I can't tell you how much I've lost over the last decade. I'm really happy with the way the boat is turning out.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Juless1 -

Since I'll be basically unavailable after Oct 3 and can't do any of the more physical stuff, If you REALLY need to get this done in the next 2 or 3 weeks -

Get a local rigger to set up the boat and move it into the water BEFORE the test sail day and then tune the rig, and to take it apart afterwards. He should be able to do it if you give him the instruction manual. With help and no problems, it's going to take us maybe 2 1/2 hours to move the boat and get it into the water and ready, about 1 hour to tune the rig, and another 2 1/2 to take it apart. That doesn't leave much time for anything else. I'm pretty sure that it will need a tuning and numerous other maintenance procedures after 2 years of sitting on the trailer. I do mine at least twice a year. You also may wind up with 6 or 7 people on the Sea Trial and that won't work that well either. It gets crowded with 4.

Depending on when you set this up, I may be able to drive over and help the rigger if he needs it. We're in Freehold, not that far away.
Ron Marcuse
Hull52

Post by Hull52 »

Just saw your message Ron. I'm still available for the 27th if you need a mate. You have my #.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Lou -

I'm keeping the 27th open. But it would be better if the boat was set up before then. We could easily run out if time if we start from scratch.
Ron Marcuse
scpeters

Post by scpeters »

Ron, Lou,

Sounds like you are all set. Give a shout if that changes, and it turns out you need help with launching or rigging.

-Steve
Hull52

Post by Hull52 »

Ron wrote:Lou -

I'm keeping the 27th open. But it would be better if the boat was set up before then. We could easily run out if time if we start from scratch.
Okay Ron.

I have to say I like the idea of having a rigger set it up a day or two before if that's possible. It would leave more time for the owner to shake down the boat. You know how to get ahold of me.

Hey Steve. Keep an eye out on my rebuild thread. If I get my 26 launched next spring, I'll be taking her to Cape May to be moored. You're welcome to come for a sail if you like.

Lou
Ron

Post by Ron »

Has anyone heard from juless1? I sent her a PM with phone numbers a few days ago. It's still in my outbox. I'm holding 9/27 open for now.
Ron Marcuse