Telstar Racing

Talking about the boats in general, that don't fit in the other categories.
vancouver

Telstar Racing

Post by vancouver »

Saturday was the last day of my club's fall series race. My local Yacht club is happy to have multi-hulls in the club races. Small club club which is always looking for more boats.

Yesterday was a perfect day for the Telstar. It was a 10 nm course with about 80% reach. I got line honours and a 3rd corrected. I am currently racing with a PHRF of 120. Definitely not competitive with the monohulls in the light winds on a Windward -Leeward course. But on an 18 knot breeze with the course being 8 nms close reach to beam reach, left the fleet in the dust. The 2 nms upwind was another story. I got speeds of 10.4 knots. Generally in the high 7 to low 8 knots. Altogether a great day.

I was surprised at the finish I had to pinch up to 30 apparent to make the finish mark and still doing 6.5 knots.

If you notice the flutter at the top of the main, it is a missing batten. I am getting a new main this month from Beirig Sails and decide not to replace the batten since a new sail is coming from Dave Beirig this month. We carried full sail in 24 knots apparent. A bit overpowered, but still handling well.

Our Frostbite Series starts in Mid-January. Our best sailing in BC is from Oct till May. It is a bit chilly, but the wind is great. In the summer the weather is warm, but the winds are light. It makes for great cruising, but kind of boring racing.

Terry
Attachments
Sail Mates 1 Flying!.jpg
Sail Mates 1 Flying!.jpg (82.64 KiB) Viewed 1773 times
onremlop

Re: Telstar Racing

Post by onremlop »

good job. I like the picture.
escape

Post by escape »

Great picture, you are very lucky to be able to sail your boat at this time of the year, here is what mine looks like... but I will be from sailing from Antigua to the Grenadines on this:http://www.neel-trimarans.com/nos-trimarans/neel-45/ during Christmas holidays, can't wait!
Attachments
IMG_0058.jpg
IMG_0058.jpg (206.75 KiB) Viewed 1736 times
Michel
Chenoa, #377
wingman71

Post by wingman71 »

Would you mind saying how much you paid for the new main and what material he used? I will buy a new one this winter to use for the summer and relegate the old one to winter and cruising use.

I agree with your comments about reaches vs. W/L. Do you have the short or long centerboard?

John Enderle
vancouver

Post by vancouver »

It's not done yet, Dave is slow on delivery. The price was $1,700. Dacron and I can't remember the weight we agreed on. I liked the laminate, but 7 years is to short a life span. The genoa in the picture is a new one from last December, again made by Dave. I am very happy with it.
vancouver

Post by vancouver »

Short center board. Hull 329.
Ron

Post by Ron »

I'm very happy with my Bierig Kevlar laminate sails. The boat is about 6 years old now, with full year usage in FL and NJ for 4 of those 6 years. Based on the Honda hour meter and how long I motor, I must have taken it out at least 500 times already. The sails will easily make it to 10 years, and maybe longer. The sun is just about the only thing that will hurt them, so you should keep the main covered whenever it's down, and maybe hoist up a sock to cover the genoa if you leave it for more than a week or two. They appear to have the exact same shape now as they did on the 1st day. Not one millimeter of stretch. Based on experience with previous boats, I'd be looking to replace both dacron sails about now. If and when I do replace the Kevlar, I'd be looking at dyneema as well.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
wingman71

Post by wingman71 »

I am talking to other sailmakers for a new racing main. I am keeping my old main for winter and cruising. The old main had torn when I jibed in 25 knots in a race. It was also weak at the aft end of the batten pockets, which I temporarily reinforced. I had a thin area near the top n which I put sail tape. I do not get as much twist at the top as I would like in heavy winds. Anyway, the prices are coming in at $3000 +-300, depending on the material. The sail will be slightly larger, going all the way to the black strips on the boom and mast.

The gold sail material is not made anymore. The same manufacturer has a new material out that is black. I am waiting for the written quote to get its exact name. The new material is stronger, yet lighter, at least that is the claim.

Dave Berig had a heart attack last Spring. I think he is slowing down his production. Last year I had him make me a racing jib with no sun protector on the edge, giving it a better shape and less weight. I use it for racing and the old one for cruising and practice.

When I make my choice of main, I will let the forum know from whom I purchased it. At least, you will have second supplier who has our measurements. I am only buying from someone who makes the sails locally, so I can be sure that I can get good support. One makes the sails in Easton, MD and the other in Eastport, MD (actually, Annapolis.)

John
Ron

Post by Ron »

John -

Give Scott Sails a call - (http://www.scottsails.com). Andrew made a few sails for my Catalina 400, but when his father retired and he went sailing with Connors on Stars & Stripes, they shut down for a few years. I heard he's back now. They were located on Back Creek, a few doors away from PCI. I did very well with the sails he made. The photo of the "Catalina 42" on their website is actually my 400. The spinnaker is his.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"