Current Sale Prices for Telstar 28

Talking about the boats in general, that don't fit in the other categories.
vancouver

Current Sale Prices for Telstar 28

Post by vancouver »

It seems that most of the Telstar 28's are listing for around $70K. Does anyone have any idea what the sale prices look like?

Terry
Panman

Re: Current Sale Prices for Telstar 28

Post by Panman »

Terry,

It depends on the condition and specs of course. I just bought a 2007 last fall and my survey showed street price just slightly under $70k. That was for a boat with all factory options and the trailer upgraded to disc brakes. They hold their value apparently.

Are you going to sell yours?

Steve
~Steve
"Pain Killer" Hull 363
vancouver

Post by vancouver »

I am considering it. I really like the Telstar, but my wife would like to do more cruising and a Gemini is attractive to her. So we are exploring the options. I have to admit with an offer of around 70K, I would be tempted. Mine is in good shape. New Genoa is year and a new main on order. I also put a new 20hp on it this year.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Terry -

I think the Gemini's are decent boats, especially the new Legacy 35 being built at Hunter. It's nice looking and appears to have gained some quality at Hunter. The price on the 35 has gone up though.

Have you ever sailed on a Gemini, new or old? Your going to lose some speed if you switch. There's got to be a dozen or more Gemini's in the multihull association that I joined down in Florida. Several of them race with us. I can easily walk away from them in any wind or sea conditions. Dropping down to 5 knots when I could be doing 10 would bother me somewhat.

I'm also getting the itch for a new boat. But I'm thinking trawler or similar. I'd keep the Telstar for sailing but would not mind getting something that's more comfortable for 4 or 5 day cruises. We belong to several clubs down there and the Telstar is not working out that well for things like this. And I almost always wind up motoring at least 2/3 of the trip which really annoys me. Something like a 28 to 30 foot Alden or Cutwater capable of cruising at 12 to 14 knots sounds like a decent choice.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Gene

Post by Gene »

Nordic appears to be reintroducing their successful NT 26 design as well Ron. They claim to get much better "mileage" than the Cutwater's do. I haven't seen them "in person", but I do have a local Cutwater dealer. They look like fun... but not cheap either :(... Some of the Nimble boats look interesting too... particularly if trailering is important.
Plash Island, AL
USA
Ron

Post by Ron »

The addition of a trawler type boat is a long range plan. It takes me 2 or 3 years to decide what boat to buy anyway. I've always liked the "Down-East" style so that's my starting point. I'm not very impressed by the seaworthiness of some trawlers, so that is a big consideration. Some tend to rock almost violently in choppier water or if passed in a channel. By the way, I meant to type Albin on the previous message.

Another choice (which I probably won't do) is a much larger and better performing catamaran. A friend has a MaineCat 41 which I really like. The Telstar is somewhat faster, but this large hulk has other advantages and sails better than other 40 footers. The Telstar would be gone if I went this way.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Gene

Post by Gene »

I love the Chris White "Atlantic" series of "big cats" which range in size from 42' on up. They were "semi production" built for a while, but mostly one offs. Very performance oriented, but comfortable as well- a rare combination in multihulls! He wrote a nice book on the subject as well. (I didn't think you meant Alden Ron ;-).

http://chriswhitedesigns.com/
Plash Island, AL
USA
tiMoun

Post by tiMoun »

Wish I did. Mine is for sale at $65,000 or BO not much interest (see other post), this forum, ad here:
http://www.catamaransite.com/telestar28 ... _sale.html
Michael
jannpage

Post by jannpage »

Greeting guys. Interesting conversation. I owned a 10meter Catalac for most of 10 years. 90% of the time is was a joy. Great living comfort with lots of water and Ice, typically could make 4-5 knot headway most times under sail and almost always comfortable. But keeping up with the pack, either burn a lot of diesel and still not keep up with some or relax and get their when I do. We did nearly 5 months rarely over 50 miles< mostly under sail, from one restaurant to another in the Med one year. My fuel savings more than paid for the wine and food.

But I can hook the Telstar behind most SUV's or even a small pick up and do more than that in an hour. Which is better? I sure love the Telsar under sail. But so did I love the Catalac under sail. Just as I had a lot of fun with my 22ft. Venture for years.

Any Trawler that I know of that is "comfortable" at 10-12 knots is going to burn around $30 of diesel or more and hour and still be noisy. I do hope you will slow down to low wake speeds when you pass me.

Cheers lefty2
tiMoun

Post by tiMoun »

I just sold my 2007 all options for $60,000. I was motivated (new boat)
'ti Moun