Newbe

Talking about the boats in general, that don't fit in the other categories.
jannpage

Newbe

Post by jannpage »

Just bought an O6 in Apalachacola, Fl. Plan to move it to Milton (Pensacola) on Monday or Tues at latest.Got a million questions but expect to reduce that to a few fairly shortly.

I've sailed a lot of miles and years and still consider myself capable of fixing about anything that can go wrong. Learned to sail on light fairly sensitive boats and have a Woods "Strider Club Cat" I will be selling soon. the child that shares her live with me and I sailed it some 600 miles to bring it home a couple of years ago and used it locally since. We owned a 10M Catalac 10 year putting 5 or 6K miles on it in the Med and the Adriatic. But I still plan to be careful. I really am not a speed nut. I like my cup to be where I sat it down when I reach for it.

It has a 20 Hp Honda on it.

So - any suggestions what to do or check before I put it in the water for the first time?

I do plan to take a sailing buddy out a few times until I feel confident. I am an old man but rarely know it ( or feel it).
Excited as an 18 year old, but am a little awed by it. I really want to not over power her.

Glad I found this forum and have already read quiet a bit.

Thanks for any input.

lefty2 :P
wooden

Re: Newbe

Post by wooden »

Welcome Lefty2.

I think you will find the Telstar to be a very comfortable sailing vessel that is very forgiving. I bought mine in Tallahassee FL a couple of years ago and because I did not have a vehicle capable of trailing it down to my house in the Florida Keys, I sailed it down, trusting my wife to pull the trailer. I had very little sailing experience, but fortunately the weather cooperated and gave me just enough challenge to educate me rather than destroy me. The boat is designed well, easy to single hand with a few modification, and great for coastal cruising in the shallow waters of south Florida.

I have made a few modifications for my situation that I have found very effective. They include putting in a composting head, installing a shorter tiller, re-working the rudder mechanism (still more to do on that), putting on an bow anchor roller and tension latch, and running the main sheet to the cockpit. Your needs may be different, but my point is that modifications are pretty easy to accomplish. I still have others I want to tackle.

I think the forum is a great asset to the Telstar community, and there are some very smart and experienced people contributing. Have fun, and contribute new ideas when you can.

Steve Wooden
Steve & Mittie Wooden
Bayou Vista TX (Galveston)
"Gnarly's Poop Deck" Hull #340
jannpage

Post by jannpage »

Thanks for the report. Excited as a kid..

This is my second tri. We owned a 37ft Crowther Tempest ( 33ft streached) built using the European version of the west cold molded epoxy ply method. Delightful boat but it would start hopping at about 10 knots.

I would like to hear about your rudder rework. I find the end of a broken line and a new 3rd line spiced onto what is probably the middle of the broken one. My Owners manual is a Draft version and does not have a diagram of the rudder line path. If anyone has a diagram of the line path and can copy and Email it you will save me a bit of uncertainty.
I get mail at jannpage@yahoo.com
lefty2
wooden

Post by wooden »

Lefty2,

You can find the owners manual with rudder rigging diagram on this website under "Owners Information", in the member section. I have not yet decided how I am going to rework the rudder mechanism, but it need serious work. Good luck with your boat. I can assure you that the faster the Telstar goes the smoother she gets.
Steve & Mittie Wooden
jannpage

Post by jannpage »

Thanks Steve. I have it printed and Jan is having it spiral bound so for the time being it will be in the boat.

May make it to the keys this summer. If so , we will try to look you up. Cheers.

Visit Pensacola sometime?

Lefty2
wooden

Post by wooden »

Summertime in the Keys is nice because all the traffic is down to a soft roar and the water is warm. Unfortunately this year I will be traveling quite a bit over the summer so the boat is coming out of the water in a few weeks to replace the broken centerboard, and I will probably have it put up for the hurricane season to work on engine maintenance, reconfigure the rudder rigging, and a few more minor modifications I want to make to the boat. The plan is to have her back in the water in October.

I have been through Pensacola on my travels, and I am sure I will be back there again someday. I will look you up if that happens this year. Welcome to the Telstar community, and I hope you have many years of safe and fun sailing experiences.

Steve Wooden
Steve & Mittie Wooden
jannpage

Post by jannpage »

Steve. Do you have a replacement centerboard already or are you going to build one? I hope to have mine on a lift in a week or so so I may be able to drop the centerboard and make a pattern for you. I am hull 337.

Cheers

Page and Janet Simonson
wooden

Post by wooden »

Thanks for the offer, but CLC in Annapolis is building one for me. If expect it to be delivered in about two weeks. I looked at the possibility of building one myself because I have extensive experience in composite construction, but the specs on the centerboard are a little more complex than the rudder, and I wanted to make sure it would fit and function properly. I talked to CLC at length, and they were outstanding to work with. Although the cost was high, I think it will be worth having a professionally done, robust centerboard that I won't have to worry about (I hope).

Installation will be the trick for me because I don't have a readily available lift. I am going to put the boat on the trailer and see if I can use jacks to lift it up enough to remove and replace the centerboard. If that fails, I will look for other options, or do it in the water.

It is nice to have a community of Telstar owners who are willing to help each other. Some of the other sailboat forums turn into testosterone filled name calling sessions that provide little to no help for those seeking it. Thanks for being helpful.

Steve Wooden
Steve & Mittie Wooden
jannpage

Post by jannpage »

Agreed. Great forum with great talent all over the place. .

Also agree with using a professionally built centerboard. More time for sailing.

Are you sure the trailer will not be in the way of dropping the centerboard out? Be nice to find a boat lift you caound use for a few hours or arrange with the Marina Operator to leave it hanging on the travel lift overnight or longer or to lift it and set it or 4 saw horses. (2 strong one and 2 under the ama's to stabilize it.

Let us know how it all works out.

Cheers

Jan and Page near Pensacola.