looking for a telstar

Talking about the boats in general, that don't fit in the other categories.
SteveM

looking for a telstar

Post by SteveM »

Hello I'm interested in finding and probably buying a telstar 28. We do a lot of trailer sailing and it seems to be easy up and down. I have joined the Telstar assn and will be watching for any boats that come up. Cathyalan, We ran into you on Stockton Island a year or two ago when we were there with our Catalina 27. Hope to talk to you again. Steve
onremlop

Re: looking for a telstar

Post by onremlop »

I grew up in Pierre and have a Telstar on Tampa Bay. Where do you plan on sailing your boat?
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Onremlop We keep out Catalina 27 on Angustura Res south of Hot Springs. Usually we go to Lake of the Woods for LOWISA a week long race in the wilderness and we sail the lakes on the Missouri. We have been to Havasu and Superior but the boat is heavy(7000lb) and set up takes a long time. I'm looking for the speed on the water and easy set up. I don't know what problems the Telstar has but it sure sounds good so far. steve
onremlop

Post by onremlop »

I was back in Pierre last year and they have one of the best new marinas above the Oahe Dam at Spring Creek. I wish Florida marinas were designed that well.

The Telstar is an easy boat to sail and we have had very little problems with ours. We just sail and try to go fast when we can and just kick back and enjoy a good sail.

Dropping the boat off the trailer fairly straightforward and the mast raising is not bad, but it does take a bit of arm strength to raise - or I just might be weak. Dropping the mast goes quick, but at first, a bit nerve wracking.

Loading onto the trailer is the biggest issue we have had. It breaks down to practice and planning.

I wish they were still building the Telstar and were doing improvements based on owner feedback. For us, it is a great boat and lots of fun to sail. Hope you can find one. It really is a nice set up for the conditions for SD and its wind. if ours was there, we would have reefer madness. Strong winds, but the Telstar can handle it if you are smart.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Onremlop Yea that is a nice marina and there is a really nice place at Chamberlin on Frances Case. We had a slip there for one season. It's called Cedar Shores and has a motel and marina. we are thinking of all tha thin water on the west coast of Fla for winter time short cruses. We usually end renting something in Jan or Feb but the boats usually have a 5ft draft or so and you just can"t go where you want. Then there is all the sand bottom lakes around here that we'd like to beach the boat but the Catalina is just too deep and I even made the tounge on my trailer slide out 14 feet and still have to be carefull what ramp I use. The Telstar looks like the one. Steve
onremlop

Post by onremlop »

That is the nice thing about our Telstar. We have thought about upgrading to a Gemini, but part of the problem in FL is many marinas really aren't set up for cats. Don't know why that is. When the tide is out in certain parts of the west coast, even a kayak will run aground. (I speak from experience).

If you are down this way, let me know and we can go out for a sail. The summer is not much fun since it is really hot and windless. But, right now is quite nice.

Paul
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Paul We are going to be renting an Etap 32 out of Burnt Store in the middle of Feb. So I'll get in touch before we get there, Ron from Punta Gorda has offered us a ride also and we will definitely want to see and ride on at least one. Where are you are on Tampa Bay, We'll have a car so maybe we can drive up. Steve
onremlop

Post by onremlop »

Would love to have you pop on by. We are in the St. Pete Municipal Marina in downtown St. Pete. Fairly easy to find. Take I75 to I275 and the Tropicana Dome Exit. Pretty much drive towards the water and we are right there. Albert Whitted airport is about 100 yards away from us. Great location and the bay is about a 5 minute motor/sail to open water.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I'll get back to you soon. I think I'm going to check the boat that's for sale in Jacksonville in a month or so If it's still there or the one in Miami. Steve
Mark Gassan

Post by Mark Gassan »

My boat (hull 341) is in the water in New Orleans. If you come this way, I'd be glad to show it to you.