Navigation lights

Talking about the boats in general, that don't fit in the other categories.
petrel

Navigation lights

Post by petrel »

The navigation lights on the sides of the cabin of my Telstar 26 cause a reflection of light from the side decks that impairs night vision.

To fix the problem I am considering replacing these lights with a bi-color bow light similar to the Telstar 28. But I am concerned that a bow light will illuminate the bows causing a similar problem?

Any T28 owners who would like to comment?

Thanks
Geoffrey
Andre

Navigation lights

Post by Andre »

My Telstar 26 MK1 also had the running lights on the cabin sides. In addition to the glare problems they were blanketed by the genoa. On a couple of occasions I managed to get the jib sheets snagged on them and rip them off. My solution was to move the running lights to the bow and mount them on the front of the pulpit. I ran the wire inside the pulpit tube and it exited from the foot through the deck. I am happy with the results, Visible with the sails up, no glare and no more snagged sheets.

Andre

I have a picture but I can't upload it because the the board attachment quota has been reached.
luigisante

Navigation lights

Post by luigisante »

I would love to see the pictures. Any idea how we fix this upload issue.
Ron

Navigation lights

Post by Ron »

luigisante wrote:I would love to see the pictures. Any idea how we fix this upload issue.
It seems we're running out of space. Dan would have to fix it. I don't have access to this stuff.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
petrel

Navigation lights

Post by petrel »

Thanks to all who responded.

Wooden thanks for the answer that the T-28 bow light does not just move the light reflection problem forward and light up the bows.

I also share Andre's experiences with jib sheets catching on the side lights. Another very good reason to move them. Andre, I am curious did you install a bi-color bow light similar to the T-28 or two separate lights. My reason for asking is that I am also hoping to use LEDs in the new bow light(s)for their high visibility and low power drain.

I have already replaced the masthead tricolor, steaming lights, and stern lights with LED's and will soon replace the cabin lights also.

Thanks again
Geoffrey
Andre

Navigation lights

Post by Andre »

I used one bi-color light at the very front of the bow pulpit. I am also in the process of converting all the lighting to led. Not only do they save on power usage but they don't get nearly as hot as incandescent or halogen bulbs. I get my led bulbs from http://www.superbrightleds.com still expensive but not as bad as the marine store.

Andre
luigisante

Navigation lights

Post by luigisante »

Ron wrote:
luigisante wrote:I would love to see the pictures. Any idea how we fix this upload issue.
It seems we're running out of space. Dan would have to fix it. I don't have access to this stuff.
Hey Ron ... I sent Dan an email from the address listed on his blog. Hopefully, we'll hear from him soon.

Lou
Ron

Navigation lights

Post by Ron »

You can use something like PhotoBucket in the interim. There's no limit there. There must be a dozen of these free photo storage websites around. Just enclose the pointer in an IMG command.

The command is almost automatic and would look like Image

Example below (my last boat. The photo is actually stored on PhotoBucket.

Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
luigisante

Navigation lights

Post by luigisante »

I should have thought of that. I have a photobucket account. Here's my new main from Dave B.

Cool, that works fine. Now, how about some pictures of those pulpit running lights. I am particularly interested to see how you routed the wires out from the cabin, through the stainless pulpit rail and out to wire the lights. Sounds like a worthwhile modification to make while I'm at it.

Lou