Bridle for anchoring or mooring

Talking about the boats in general, that don't fit in the other categories.
tricruiser

Post by tricruiser »

Hello everyone

I want to keep my Telstar28 this summer on a mooring boy with floats extended. I think I should use a bridle to avoid the boat swinging around the bouy!

Actually, I am surprised that nobody ever talked about this topic. After all this is a Mulithull and all multihulls should use a bridle.

I wonder if somebody is using one and Where on the hull or floats are the lines attached??????

I only see a small possibility on the main deck of the main hull near the end of the pulpit. (wider section of the forward deck)

The best position for maximum efficiency is from the floats but access is only possible at the front visit hatch. The fiberglass seem also not strong enough for that?

Ron might have an answer??

Many Thanks

Tricruiser
Ron

Post by Ron »

Not me !! I've been keeping the boat at various docks since I bought it. Tried out the anchor once just to test it. The bridle makes sense, but access to the forward end of the ama's is rather limited for normal sized people. You're probably right about the fiberglass there - I'd want to reinforce the area and use backing plates,etc. The bow's of each ama probably have the thickest fiberglass sections.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
tricruiser

Post by tricruiser »

Hello again,

I am talking about having the boat during the season with amas extended on a SWING Mooring..

Anybody with experience on this?? And did you use a bridle? And where was the bridle attached??

TKS

Tricruiser
Andre

Post by Andre »

I keep my Telstar mk1 on a mooring on the Thames river in Connecticut. With the short scope of most moorings I have never found a bridle necessary. When anchoring in high winds and long scope a bridle is a necessity to prevent the boat from sailing around. I attach my bridle to the front cleats of the amas. Each leg is about 15 feet long and the anchor line attaches at the apex.

Andre
Fatboyfinn

Post by Fatboyfinn »

A bucket streamed aft seems to stop my MK 2 sheering about.
Any reasons why this is not a good idea.......

Andy
tricruiser

Post by tricruiser »

Hello Andre,

Thanks for your comments.

Do you have a picture of the cleat on the float you are talking about? Any concern about the pull on the floats in the wrong direction (fold them? ) Should be strong to hold the boat.

I just have a U bolt holding the wire cable to the main hull.

B/Rgds

Fred
Andre

Post by Andre »

Hello Fred

The Mk 1 Telstar folds in a different direction than the 28. The amas fold down and can not move once the boat is in the water. I see your concern regarding the bridle pulling the 28's floats forward, perhaps a Telstar 28 owner can comment. As to Andy streaming a bucket behind his boat to keep it stable I can't see a problem unless you need the bucket for more pressing duties. In my case I am sure I would forget about it when I got under way and wonder why I was moving so slowly.

Regards to all
Andre
Ron

Post by Ron »

One comment - The 28's ama's do fold in a rotating forward direction, and the lines under the two cockpit seats are what's stopping them from going forward while sailing. But the normal forces are nearly all in the opposite direction while moving (pushing the amas backward), and there is a hard stop that prevents this. Those two lines are the only thing preventing the ama's from rotating forward. Their intended function is to lock the amas on the stop. Take this into account when you try to bridle the two amas. I think you'd be OK, but some very heavy winds or seas could change this.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"