Winter Storage

Talking about the boats in general, that don't fit in the other categories.
Cathyalan

Winter Storage

Post by Cathyalan »

In Wisconsin it gets a little chilly in the winter. Last winter I stored the Cathyalan in a heated warehouse for only $750...sadly that is not available to me this year. Heated storage is typically in the $1800 range around here. So I will be storing either indoors non-heated or outdoors covered. I know how to winterize the outboard, having done it many times with my pontoon boat. What I am unsure about is the head system. The holding tank was emptied and flushed and the last use of the head was put on dry bowl but it isn't completely dry of course. There is very little water in the system and thus plenty of room for "ice" expansion. Any suggestions?

Alan
Cathy & Alan #313
Ron

Winter Storage

Post by Ron »

I would blow out all of the water lines with an air compressor, or maybe use some non-toxic pink antifreeze if you can't get a compressor. Keep the air pressure at less than about 40 pounds if you do it. Higher could blow out the fittings. The bad thing about the antifreeze is that it tends to hang around the system for a while - both taste and touch.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
onremlop

Winter Storage

Post by onremlop »

We drained all the water and what was left, we used a shopvac to get out which wasn't much. I pumped all of the faucets until nothing came out. Then, put a splash of pink antifreeze in the toilet to be on the safe side. Everything seemed to work fine.
ggreen

Re: Winter Storage

Post by ggreen »

After my original cover for my Telstar 28 CatNip 311 was destroyed by the last hurricane I decided to give Fairclough Sailmakers a call to see if they would fabricate a new cover for my boat. I tried them originally but at that time they did not make covers for trimarans unless stored in the water. In any event they have since taken on those kind of projects. They showed me pictures of what they did with a Farrier trimaran so I sent pictures of my boat and they also came out to look at the project. They made the cover and I have to say the quality, material, construction as the materials and lines they used to attach it to the boat were excellent. They also provided vents and a zippered entry. I've attached some photos for anyones interest.

They have a website www.fairclough.com

gary g.
Attachments
Cover Cover.png
Cover Cover.png (208.13 KiB) Viewed 1088 times
Cover Frame.png
Cover Frame.png (188.8 KiB) Viewed 1088 times
Panman

Post by Panman »

ggreen wrote:After my original cover for my Telstar 28 CatNip 311 was destroyed by the last hurricane I decided to give Fairclough Sailmakers a call to see if they would fabricate a new cover for my boat. I tried them originally but at that time they did not make covers for trimarans unless stored in the water. In any event they have since taken on those kind of projects. They showed me pictures of what they did with a Farrier trimaran so I sent pictures of my boat and they also came out to look at the project. They made the cover and I have to say the quality, material, construction as the materials and lines they used to attach it to the boat were excellent. They also provided vents and a zippered entry. I've attached some photos for anyones interest.

They have a website http://www.fairclough.com

gary g.

Nice looking cover Gary. Would you mind sharing the cost?

Thanks, Steve
~Steve
"Pain Killer" Hull 363
ggreen

Post by ggreen »

The price of the cover was $3,166.40. Expensive but I believe this one will outlast my last one which was about $1k less over time. The company usually runs deals during the slow periods to keep their shop going.

gary g