Problems, problems, problems etc.

Talking about the boats in general, that don't fit in the other categories.
Ron

Problems, problems, problems etc.

Post by Ron »

No one seems to be answering, so I'll take a shot.

The owners manual has a chart on reefing. For example, the first reef (4 wraps) on the genoa is at around 21 to 22 knots. First reef on the main is at around 24 knots. Both numbers are apparent wind. I have never had to reef earlier with the two sails under normal conditions. But heavy or choppy seas could get me to lower these suggestions.

As far as the problems go, I'd carefully check out and tune the rigging and/or re-calibrate the wind instrument. It could be off by a significant margin, in both speed and direction. I've never experienced anything like you describe. Multihulls, including the T28, rarely generate any weather helm at all. I can easily steer mine with 2 fingers on my shorter tiller in over 20 knots of wind. That's one of the things I like about it. A monohull would get you white knuckles under similar conditions.

How about the boat and sails? Are they in reasonably good shape? Blown out or baggy sails can do strange things in heavier wind. Do you have the Honda 20 or 50? The extra 100 pounds back there can bury a leeward ama sometimes. Any water in the amas or back of the main hull? A few boats have developed leaks in various places and the extra weight can do some strange things also. Ditto for the crew - spread them around the cockpit or ama's. Everone in the back of the boat could cause issues too. I'd also take a good look at the steering setup. Any slop in the linkage could make things difficult.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"