PERF rating for a 8m

Talking about the boats in general, that don't fit in the other categories.
Ron

PERF rating for a 8m

Post by Ron »

Brad -

PHRF ratings are regional. They tend to vary around the country. The regional differences for one boat are not important because you're mostly concerned with other boats in your region, and they tend to jointly go up and down. I've seen differences of 20 or 30 seconds a mile for the same boat in different regions.

I'd talk to the local sailing club first. Many will not allow multihulls to race with them, especially in races that rely on PHRF handicaps. If they say OK, you will probably have to join the regional PHRF association and pay a few bucks worth of dues to get the handicap cerificate. I'd be surprised if anyone has already rated the boat - there are only a few of them around. This is probably your local PHRF regional association - South Atlantic Racing Association - http://www.sayra-sailing.com

US Sailing once let multihulls compete during Key West race week. Guess which boats won the fastest class, beating out a Santa Cruz 72 owned by the then current head of US Sailing. First 3 boats over the line were Corsairs. The rules changed again at the end of that week.

My 28 has a 180 non-spinnaker rating (about 155 with the chute), issued by Western Florida PHRF, and the local Punta Gorda sailing club will not let me start in any PHRF fleet (A, B, spinnaker or not). We'd need something like 5 boats to start our own fleet, and most multihulls tend to stay clear of these clubs. That's one of the reasons why I joined a local multihull club - which has an entirely different rating system. Time on time vs time on distance. Most multihull clubs seem to ignore PHRF ratings.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
vancouver

PERF rating for a 8m

Post by vancouver »

Hi Ron,

I have been racing my T28 for the first time this year in club races here in BC. It is a small club so they are glad to have another racer even if I have extra hulls :).

I have been using a provisional rating of 90. I just found your rating. Did you get any chances to race and if so did the rating seem appropriate.

Thanks.

Terry
Ron

PERF rating for a 8m

Post by Ron »

I've never raced with a club that would let me use the approx 180 PHRF rating I got. I view it a gift that I can't use. They either keep us out altogether or sometimes let us race amongst ourselves. Very few multihulls in SW Florida even bother to join these clubs. I quit our local sailing club in Punta Gorda 2 or 3 years ago. Something in the 90 range for a Telstar 28 would probably be correct. The older Telstars would be somewhat higher.

The multihull club that I belong to and race with uses a time on time formula, not time on distace. My rating is 0.87. A Corsair F24 would be in the 0.89 range, an F28R about 0.95. My actual time would be multiplied by .87, and theirs by .89 and .95 respectively, to get the final time with handicap. We had one very fast F33 about 3 years ago which was handicapped at around 1.05 as I recall.
Ron Marcuse
laurieC

Re: PERF rating for a 8m

Post by laurieC »

FYI I just got a rating of 162 non-spinacker from the Bay Area MultiHull Association (BAMA) who provides all the ratings for all multihulls in the SF Bay Area. Sailed my first race last Saturday, 3 Bridges Fiasco race, but had to do a DNF when I got caught with my screacher up a 25knot blast came along, couldnt furl it, had to drop it, sail in water, me on ama trying to secure it, still going 10+ knots. Just got too wet, cold and mate recovering from pneumonia. I agree I think its a nice gift that 162, especially when I get my sail trim honed.
Good fun.
Laurie
Ron

Re: PERF rating for a 8m

Post by Ron »

They will probably knock that 162 down if you win a few races. My 180 rating seems to stand, but I can't use it. No one will let me in. My local multihull club uses a time on time handicap, not time on distance. Seems to be much better for all concerned. Mine is something like 0.86 as I recall. An F24 is around 0.88. You would multiply this decimal by your actual time to finish to get your overall race time. I'm also a little surprised that your multihull club is using a time on distance factor.
Ron Marcuse