Moving down to Florida for the winter

Talking about the boats in general, that don't fit in the other categories.
Ron

Post by Ron »

We're heading down to Punta Gorda, Florida. I will probably be out of touch for about 5 or 6 days (pack, move & unpack). The boats already there - it spent the summer covered up on the trailer in a local storage yard. With my mending shoulder, I don't expect to get it into the water until January, and even that will require some help. Anyone on the list who's living or vacationing in the area and who has a T2 (or wants one) is welcome to help. I might even try to do it earlier if I can (and if the helper knows what he's doing). I'd probably be a spectator in December. I feel sort of helpless now - I've launched and rigged the boat a dozen times by myself.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
onremlop

Post by onremlop »

We just moved our Telstar down to Ocala, FL and are looking for a place to splash it. Looks like it might be Tampa, but would much rather do it up by us. I'm going to be traveling up until Christmas, but my schedule might be free after that if you need help.

We also are heading down to the St. Pete boat show next week (Dec. 4). Anyone else heading there?
Ron

Post by Ron »

I'm going to try to launch and rig it in about 2 weeks or so (mid December). Shoulder is slowly getting better and I think I may be able do it with some help. As far as Ocala goes, there are some larger lakes in the area which may be sail-able, and the Gulf to the west may have some areas as well (like Crystal River / Bay, etc.). Both are probably on the shallow side. There's not much water in much of the Gulf coast. Charlotte Harbor is one of the better spots, but it's about 3 1/2 hours from Ocala. Tampa or St. Pete would save you about half of that trip.
Ron Marcuse
Ron

Post by Ron »

I'm back on the water again!!! I launched and rigged the boat earlier this week (12/21). Was easier than I thought it would be with the recovering shoulder. Only real problem is getting the main up and I'm using the winch at about the half way point now. Didn't have to that last year. Don't have that much power with the right arm above the shoulder yet and it's probably a better idea to avoid damaging it. It's been 7 months since I last sailed the Telstar. Hoping to make up for that now.
Ron Marcuse
Pat Ross

Post by Pat Ross »

Good to hear, have fun. I had knee surgery Monday, should up and around really well in about two weeks mobile now, just not very quick. Have a great time.

Pat
Ron

Post by Ron »

Pat -

This stuff didn't happen to us when we were younger. Since I have no real intention of slowing down, I've got to learn to be a little more carefull.
Ron Marcuse
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Ron,
Those of us looking at the snow on the ground are jealous.
May you have fair winds and following seas.
Jerry
Ron

Post by Ron »

Thanks Jerry. Anyone who makes it down to SW Florida is welcome to come out for a sail. But they may have to help and raise the main sail for me. Shoulder is getting better, but I probably have another 5 months till full recovery.
Ron Marcuse