Anybody make 1/4" corian or other composite

Talking about the boats in general, that don't fit in the other categories.
luigisante

Post by luigisante »

I would like to use a composite top (something like corian) for my galley but want something very thin (1/4" preferably). Is there any such thing? Do they have Starbaord in a 1/4" thickness and could you use Starbaord as a countertop?

Lou
Dan

Post by Dan »

I've seen Corian in 1/2". It does come in 1/4" but it is NOT RECOMMENDED FOR HORIZONTAL APPLICATIONS—and definitely not good for countertops.

See: LINK

You could use UHMW PE, but it doesn't take adhesives very well and is really slippery material.

Tiling the surface might work well too.
luigisante

Post by luigisante »

Dan wrote:I've seen Corian in 1/2". It does come in 1/4" but it is NOT RECOMMENDED FOR HORIZONTAL APPLICATIONS—and definitely not good for countertops.

See: LINK

You could use UHMW PE, but it doesn't take adhesives very well and is really slippery material.

Tiling the surface might work well too.
Thanks Dan. .25" corian looks perfect. I'm going to install it on a plywood base so it will be completely supported. I think that thickness will work well without too much weight. Now if I could only find a sheet that is not 9' long.

Lou
Dan

Post by Dan »

Lou—

The problem that you'll probably run into is that Corian and the plywood base will probably expand at different rates, and this may lead to the Corian cracking under the stress of expansion/contraction. If you look at the installation guide, the Corian is usually separated from the wood underlayment by silicone gasket/adhesive material.

I would highly recommend going with the 1/2" Corian instead of the 1/4". YMMV.

Dan
luigisante wrote:Thanks Dan. .25" corian looks perfect. I'm going to install it on a plywood base so it will be completely supported. I think that thickness will work well without too much weight. Now if I could only find a sheet that is not 9' long.

Lou
luigisante

Post by luigisante »

Dan wrote:Lou—

The problem that you'll probably run into is that Corian and the plywood base will probably expand at different rates, and this may lead to the Corian cracking under the stress of expansion/contraction. If you look at the installation guide, the Corian is usually separated from the wood underlayment by silicone gasket/adhesive material.

I would highly recommend going with the 1/2" Corian instead of the 1/4". YMMV.

Dan
luigisante wrote:Thanks Dan. .25" corian looks perfect. I'm going to install it on a plywood base so it will be completely supported. I think that thickness will work well without too much weight. Now if I could only find a sheet that is not 9' long.

Lou
I hear you ... I've been reading up on this issue and agree that the biggest challange is the interface between the top and polywood underneath. I am building the galley out of marine ply. I am keeping the top one level so I am thinking about having the corian top float with a couple of lines of adhesive. I think this will allow for expansion of both surfaces wihtout cracking the corian. The problem is that I don't want to buy a 9' sheet. If I can get a 1/2" sheet in a 4' length, I might consider that. I am trying to avoid weight wherever I can.

At this point, I am also considering a 1/4" piece of Starboard for the countertop. Does anybody own Starbaord? Is it too porus for a counter top? I really don't want to use Formica if I can help it. The top is going to be surrounded by a teak rail.

Lou
Graham

Post by Graham »

Lou, I have 2 pieces of black 1/4" starboard 12"X48" that you are more than welcome to borrow to test fit the material to see if you like it. I'm in New Jersey but up North. Starboard is basically HDPE, the same as the white cutting boards you see in the stores. However it has a slight ripple effect on the surface. I bought these to build my table but decided to go with 1/2 starboard. Also, regarding your teak veneer, have you tried H&L Marine? I just bought some teak trim from them and their prices are alot lower than other suppliers. Quality is excellent. Mention that you are a member of the Telstar group for pricing. Great people. Graham
Dan

Post by Dan »

How much Corian did you need? I have a sheet of the 1/2" Corian that I'm probably going to use for the galley counter and a few other things on my boat, but may not need all of the piece I have. I'd also recommend looking/talking to bath and kitchen refinishers nearby, since many will often have smaller pieces that are cutoffs or remnants from jobs they've done.

As for starboard, it isn't porous. It is often used for things like cutting boards. The real issue with it is that it is fairly slippery and not too tolerant of hot things. If you set a hot pot or pan down on it, it will probably damage it more than it would corian.
luigisante wrote:I hear you ... I've been reading up on this issue and agree that the biggest challange is the interface between the top and polywood underneath. I am building the galley out of marine ply. I am keeping the top one level so I am thinking about having the corian top float with a couple of lines of adhesive. I think this will allow for expansion of both surfaces wihtout cracking the corian. The problem is that I don't want to buy a 9' sheet. If I can get a 1/2" sheet in a 4' length, I might consider that. I am trying to avoid weight wherever I can.

At this point, I am also considering a 1/4" piece of Starboard for the countertop. Does anybody own Starbaord? Is it too porus for a counter top? I really don't want to use Formica if I can help it. The top is going to be surrounded by a teak rail.

Lou
Ron

Post by Ron »

Graham -

H&L Marine builds all of our tillers - both the short and long versions. They must make 75% of all of the wooden tillers out there. They've also built portions of the teak interior for the 80,000+ Catalina's built so far. Originally they did the whole thing, but Frank Butler wound up building a large wood shop at the factory. They do a lot of custom work as well. Very good company to deal with. Been around for over 50 years probably.

Mention the Telstar Association and they will give you a good discount. If anything is ordered thru us it should be at wholesale.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
luigisante

Post by luigisante »

Thanks all ... anybody ever hear of this stuff http://granite-light.com/ ?
JoeWalling

Post by JoeWalling »

Hi Lou

I'm enclosing a web address which you might find useful for various internal items. its http://www.hawkehouse.co.uk and the shop is located about 20 miles from me. They do ship abroad and its a great shop ( the website is a bit rudimentary) to look around and get ideas. Two particular items of interest for you might be: mural mousse - this is a bit like stick on granite. Unfortunately the website picture is blurred but I remember it being a tough but thin membrane which will adopt to any shape. You might be able to find some local to you or i could probably get a sample.

The second item is great and I can recommend it from personal experience on HUSH and I have a bit spare so I could send you a sample. Its the self adhesive sidelining carpet. I have used this quite a bit. Its very thin and light and perfect for the vertical settee sidewalls, the long widow ledges and covering up unsightly areas. Again the website pictures are not great but the product is - after two years it has kept its colour perfectly and shows no sign of seperation. You can see it I think in some of the internal shots of HUSH elsewhere on the forum.

Joe