Condensation?

Talking about the boats in general, that don't fit in the other categories.
seicam

Condensation?

Post by seicam »

Thanks Dan - that's actually sounds plausible. I will take a look.

Regards,
Maciek
seicam

Condensation?

Post by seicam »

I have been poking around a bit today and found one suspicious thing - in the back (aft) wall in the under-cockpit area, at the middle of it and about an inch or two from the bottom of the wall I can feel a round opening in the wall, beneath the carpet. I cannot think about any reason for it to be there, especially that it's covered by carpet. Could someone with a quick access to their boat check if they have a similar "feature".

I was trying to inspect this area from the other side, but that seems to be impossible, at least while the boat is still in the water. From the fuel locker, I can see a wall ending the locker, with some space above it going into the boat. I think that is the roof of the under-cockpit area. I think the part of the back wall that I was inspecting from inside is actually under the fuel locker, and probably should be sealed.

Any more hints are appreciated.

Regards,
Maciek
Dan

Condensation?

Post by Dan »

Actually, no, the area under the companionway doesn't extend to under the rudder stock/fuel locker. It may be the buoyancy compartments extend that far back, but the area under the cockpit that is carpeted stops about even with the transom, at the aft end of the cockpit AFAIK. If you want to check the exterior of the aft wall of the area under the companionway, you can do so through the rudder locker, but it is rather difficult to do with the boat in the water unless you hang upside down from the transom with the locker hatch open and your head in the locker. :D

I'm on the boat tonight, so I'll take a look at the setup in the morning if I get a chance.
seicam wrote:I have been poking around a bit today and found one suspicious thing - in the back (aft) wall in the under-cockpit area, at the middle of it and about an inch or two from the bottom of the wall I can feel a round opening in the wall, beneath the carpet. I cannot think about any reason for it to be there, especially that it's covered by carpet. Could someone with a quick access to their boat check if they have a similar "feature".

I was trying to inspect this area from the other side, but that seems to be impossible, at least while the boat is still in the water. From the fuel locker, I can see a wall ending the locker, with some space above it going into the boat. I think that is the roof of the under-cockpit area. I think the part of the back wall that I was inspecting from inside is actually under the fuel locker, and probably should be sealed.

Any more hints are appreciated.

Regards,
Maciek
seicam

Condensation?

Post by seicam »

Dan,
I think we are talking about the same thing. You are right about not really being able to inspect that are with boat in the water. My "inspection" consist mostly on reaching inside the locker with my head and trying to figure out the layout by touch :-) From that I recon that the under-cockpit area extends to about the end of cockpit and that the top of that area is not equal with the cockpit floor. There is some space between the top of the under-cockpit berth and the cockpit sole. That opening can be accessed from the aft, from the fuel/rudder locker.
Also I think the bottom of the under-cockpit berth is well below the level of fuel/rudder locker. That means that I cannot easily find what's on the other side of the end wall of that berth and especially, why there is a whole in there (under carpeting).

That's all I know for now, I will keep poking. The only problem is that I only stop by the marina on weekends and recent weather is not encouraging to do even that.

Regards,
Maciek
Mark

Condensation?

Post by Mark »

A couple of additions. The buoyancy tanks do extend all the way to the stern - I put an inspection plate in the floor of the fuel locker so I could fix a leak. I discovered the leak because water was leaking from the inspection ports in the rear berth. The round "thing" under the carpet at the rear may be the old set up for the tiller post on previous Telstars. On mine, there is a filled in round hole at the aft end of the cockpit, I suspect there is another directly below in the rear berth but never checked. Another possible leak site is the brace on the port side of the main hull. On mine excessive spray from the engine box found its way into the rear berth - fixed by sealing around the bracket on the outside.
seicam

Condensation?

Post by seicam »

Thanks Mark, that's an interesing suggestion - on the spary from the engine box. I did observe that the "leak" happens only when the boat is underway. Whenever I left her in the berth for a week or longer everything had been dry. Also the port side is the most wet.
Could you gove more details on your fix? If you happen to have a photo it would be great.

FWIW, my buoancy tanks in the aft are all dry all the time.

Regards,
Maciek
Mark

Condensation?

Post by Mark »

Maciek

I have attached a photo but I do not have a close up - I may be able to take a photo in a week or two. The bracket is the curved one with a central oblong cutout. It attaches to the hull. On PCI's suggestion I sealed everywhere the bracket hit the hull with 5200 paying greatest attention in the corners. The original sealing had visible defects, gaps/holes. It fixed the problem immediately.

IMG_0174_2.jpg (76.65 KiB) Viewed 126 times

Mark
Attachments
GD Condensation 17 jan 2011.jpg
GD Condensation 17 jan 2011.jpg (76.65 KiB) Viewed 696 times
Mark

Condensation?

Post by Mark »

I have added an arrow to the pic of the fiberglass bracket I am talking about.
seicam

Condensation?

Post by seicam »

Thanks Mark. I will take a closer look at this.

Regards,
Maciek