Signs of overpowering

Talking about the boats in general, that don't fit in the other categories.
drsm

Signs of overpowering

Post by drsm »

Maciek,

We were out last weekend in almost identical conditions to what you describe--maybe just a bit gustier. Three wraps on the Genny. We were frequently above 11 knots and hit 13.1 a couple times. We washed the leeward ama deck a several times, but just barely lifted the windward out of the water. It was great fun; we made a couple monohull sailors jealous.

Steve
Fatboyfinn

Signs of overpowering

Post by Fatboyfinn »

Is this info relavent to Telstar 26 - out in some fairly choppy stuff hard on the wind the other day.
Is the aft end of the ama a good guide for the 26? I usually reef the genoa first - cos its easier -
is that right. Short guide to heavy weather for the 26 would be appreciated.

Andy
JoeWalling

Signs of overpowering

Post by JoeWalling »

Hi Andy

I don't really know as I am a fair weather sailor but I doubt if the the same rules apply. This is for 2 reasons: the extra weight of the 'T1s' v the T2s and the design of the wing decks.

If I look at my Telstar out of the water, I cannot imagine what forces would be needed to lift the central hull, let alone get anywhere near tipping over catharsis. That big belly of a central hull is so much lower than the outer ones - which anyone who has tried to sleep on board while beached will tell you.

The major reason though, I suspect is the design of the wingdecks. Each contains a massive volume of air and I have read that each is designed to support the buoyancy of the whole boat. There is also an article in the member section where Tony deliberately tried - and failed - to capsize a Mk3. He writes that the bow of the ama is so much more volumous than anywhere else that the buoyancy contained therein merely pushes a submerged bow straight back out again.

Combining these things and the overall weight and the relatively modest rig and mainsail design (not much roach), I suspect that you are going to be reefing more for comfort than for fear of going over - sideways in particular. I believe that I have read that no T1 has ever gone over sideways and that there is only one cronicle of a pitch pole. Apparently this happened under racing conditions and where the skipper or crew threw all caution to the wind.

This is mainly hearsay, or readsay, and I have not been out in anything like storm conditions, but i have never felt the boat was in any danger of going over - forwards,backwards sideways or combination ( read also Joe Siduiski ( apologies for spelling) tales of saling T1s in Frisco Bay) . I suspect also that my central hull modification would make the remote possibility of pitchpoling even remoter.

However, our boats are much, much slower than T2s, of course.

Joe
JoeWalling

Signs of overpowering

Post by JoeWalling »

Me again. I've thought of a couple more things which might be of interest. I suspect this is by design and not by accident - T1s, well mine anyway, lifts the windward hull at the first opportunity - Force 2 or 3, probably Force 2. Again, look at the profiles when the boat is beached. Next time I'll measure the difference in the relative depths of the hulls. I think the logic is that the boat will sail faster on two hulls rather than on three and that, as you have all that buoyancy in the lee hull, you can afford to design a freely lifting windward hull.

Re reefing sequence. I come from a monohull background and to me, I think the jib is quite small, even though it is masthead rigged, so I don't want to give up on its power and control too easily. I have single line mainsail reefing and a good - homemade - lazy jack system so my preferred sequence is: 1. Mainsail 1st reef. 2. Part roll the jib. 3. Mainsail 2nd reef. 4. Lose the jib, hoist stormsail. 5 Minimise sail area - bare poles, drogues,chutes,prayer book etc.

I have personally never gone beyond step 3, by the way, but I carry a stormsail and would not leave the dock without one. A jib, rolled to the point where needed in the above scenario, may be useless because the tack will be so high in the air. You'll just get windage and no drive or control.

Would be very interested in other T1 and T2 thoughts about reefing sequences.

Joe
Ron

Signs of overpowering

Post by Ron »

Joe -

The documentation that comes with the T2 (28) suggests the following -

Wind Speed - Suggested Reef Points
Wind Speed (Apparent)-----------Main Sail----------------Fore Sail
0 - 14 knots------------------------Full-----------------------Screacher
0 - 20 knots------------------------Full-----------------------Full
21 - 22 knots-----------------------Full-----------------------First Reef (4 wraps)
23 - 25 knots-----------------------Full-----------------------Second Reef (8 wraps)
23 - 25 knots-----------------------First Reef----------------First Reef (4 wraps)
26 - 28 knots-----------------------Second Reef-------------Second Reef (8 wraps

Note that we don't touch the main until about 24 knots apparent. Depending on sea conditions, the above works very well. Heavy chop or gusty winds could get me to lower the bar a drop. I've never done a 2nd reef on the main, or more than 4 wraps on the genoa (except for pre-race manuevering). Never had to.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
JoeWalling

Signs of overpowering

Post by JoeWalling »

Thanks, Ron. Thats very interesting. I might try taking a roll or two on my genoa as first reef.

Joe
Fatboyfinn

Signs of overpowering

Post by Fatboyfinn »

Thanks Everybody,

That make me feel much happier.

Andy